• "I Am the Train!" by Mike Enos

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by jaymac

Despite the posting date, neither this post nor its subject is a joke.
Mike Enos's follow-up to The Railroad Was Our Life! arrived in the 03-31 mail, and it occupied a good amount of the rest of my day. The title -- I Am the Train! -- might seem a bit strange at first, but the author -- without ever using the word -- examines the gestalt of being an effective -- a "crackerjack" -- engineer by being aware of what all those cars in back of you; the rails and grade and curves ahead of you, under you, and in back of you; the feel and sound of your power: and all the other things that constitute what and where you are so that you are part of the train, not just someone attempting to exert your will over it.
This is a book of life lessons on how to work with people far more than it is a book about train-handling. Some of the confrontations hinted at in the first volume are covered in greater depth. Particularly significant is the role that insecurity can play in aggravating confrontations. Whether insecurity within the Fink 1.0 management played a role in its sometimes confrontational approaches to customers and employees is left unstated, but except when it comes to speedos, bulletin orders, train orders, and direct orders from superiors, we can all form our own interpretations. I strongly recommend it also as a document of how a sense of pride and productivity and utility can quickly become a sense of futility when some managers attempt to exert their will over their subordinates in the same way that some engineers might attempt to exert their will over their trains.
I got my copy through the B&MRRHS. Like The Railroad Was Our Life!, it may also be available from other sources. It is well worthwhile just for the photos and captions.

(Mods: If there any violations, feel free to do what you believe is necessary.)
  by jbvb

I have these books and find the content interesting.. Having re-joined the Society, every time (often) I see a typo I find myself wondering who could get me into their publication process as a volunteer proofreader...
  by jaymac

That seems less an issue for the second book than it was for the first.
I spent my final 20 work-years as an English teacher, and my too-conditioned reflex when I started reading the works was to reach for a red pen. However, I wish I had had teachers who were as thoughtful and effective in their process and practice as Enos and those other crew members who achieved "cracker-jack" status were in theirs.
To borrow a bit from Hamlet and Hamlet, there are more things in heaven and earth than are printed in textbooks.
  by cpf354

It is unique in that it is more of a reflective and internalized account of working for the railroad, rather than a series of anecdotes and recollections. It also includes an e-mail to the author from Alan Dustin, former President of the B&M, expressing his regret about the troubles on the B&M following it's acquisition by Guilford.