• Drivers License Suspension Question and Railroad Employment

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Acela150

Hi

I have applied to multiple jobs for railroads. More so towards Conductor jobs. Last year I had two interviews with Conrail. I was turned down as I have a suspension on my DL. I understand that it must be 3 years of a clean DL to be hired.

My suspension was caused by Medical Reasons. Other then that I have a very clean record. No speeding tickets, or any moving violations. I have an accident from 5 years ago that I was not at fault for.

I have re-applied to Conrail for a Conductors Position in South jersey. If I am selected for testing and interviews. Is there a way that I can tell them I have this on my record and it was for medical purposes, and everything else is clean to get this position? I have a passion for railroads and my career goal is to work for a railroad.

Thanks for any information in advance!
Steve
  by slchub

It certainly depends upon the medical condition and if you are able to pass the mandatory physical requirements of the job as outlined by the FRA.

If you do not drive how do you expect to get to work when called by the crew caller at 2:30 a.m.?

The railroad has many other options as far as employment goes other than operations.
  by DutchRailnut

Lets just say that this << psychiatric related>> would raise a big red flag for a railroad.
  by slchub

I concur.

Given the unique environment that the railroad operates on a 24/7/365 basis and the ability to cope with and understand various regimented rules, operating procedures and management that can be very trying it is a very difficult career for the railroader and the family. The need to focus on several tasks at once and react to an anomaly is paramount given the hazards.
  by Acela150

Thanks for the replies. Without going into extreme detail..

It was a very hard time in my life where it seemed "everything was going wrong and no one cared". This was almost 2 years ago and if you met me today you would have never known. I have tons of people to talk to about anything and everything. Including a ton of guys at the local fire house where I'm a member. I don't have any mental problems. Like I said it was just a hard time and needed to get some help with fixing life's problems.

I understand that working for a railroad takes guts, tons of learning and so much more including safety, which I take very serious. I have great focus and a great understanding that one could be away from family for a while. In truth I just had twin girls with my girlfriend of 6 years and I'm looking for a career that offers good pay and benefits, I see the railroads as that career. The girlfriend understands that IF I get hired at a railroad I will be on call 24/7/365 and could be on call for more then 5 years. The fire company I run with is Volunteer and I respond from home 24/7/365.

Once again thanks for the replies.
Steve
  by catfish63755

Any license suspension is going to make it difficult to get on with a railroad, it doesn't matter what it was for or how long ago it was. It's not impossible, but it will make it harder. Best thing to do is to keep trying, and hopefully you'll get your foot in the door.
Best of luck Steve