• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Woody

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Woody wrote:I'm worried if they'll go ahead with some or all of the 70-car option. We'd need to see more Viewliners to get any expansion -- added frequencies like overnight service to Toronto and Montreal, or another route to Florida down the Florida East Coast or a thru train like the Three Rivers instead of a Pennsylvanian do-si-do in Pittsburgh, or even adding still another sleeper to some LD routes if they can fill the added 1 ½ sleepers they'll be getting. At one point the rumor was to get 15 more diners, bag-dorms, sleepers, and 25 baggage cars, that's about three routes' worth, no? (Maybe even enuff to convert the Capitol Ltd and the City of New Orleans and maybe a daily Sunset Shuttle proposed New Orleans-San Antonio.) But instead get no more equipment at all? Ouch.
Woody, I realize and respect that you are both a railfan and a long distance passenger train advocate, and that I'm 'not all that much' of the first and absolutely none of the second.
Mr Norman, I'm not sure that I'm a railfan, not sure what the definition might be. You've probably noticed over at the Amtrak Unlimited blog that most who post there proudly list the trains they've ridden. Not me. I've done plenty of Regionals to D.C.. And once I rode to and from Rocky Mount, NC, but paid no attention to the name of the train! (I certainly remember calling to arrange to rent a car, from a service station near the train station, it turned out. My arrival and departure were before or after the owner's working hours. So he told me to collect the keys that would be "hidden" behind the Coca-Cola vending machine, and return them there when I left. That told me quite a lot about *the quality of life* in Rocky Mount. :-D )

I am an Amtrak advocate first, and a long distance passenger train advocate second. Why? Maybe because I'm a defender of underdogs and lost causes? LOL. Actually I started getting into these issues when Obama was for passenger rail and his most rabid opponents were against anything the Black Man in the White House was for. (Yeah, I live in NYC now, but I was born in Austin and grew up in small town Texas, so I know how that mind works.) When I tried to defend the $10 Billion or so investment in rail in Obama's first years with facts, I got interested in the whole passenger rail question, and it's grown on me. Guess I'm like the majority of Americans who tell pollsters that they like Amtrak and want more of it; I'm just "more so."
Gilbert B Norman wrote: The 130 VII's were simply ordered, in the case of the 55 Baggs and 25 Diners, as an in-kind replacement of maintenance starved cars at least 55 years of age and most older.
I knew that, but didn't know this next part:
Gilbert B Norman wrote: The 25 each Sleepers and Bagg Dorms simply represent 'restoring' half the berths (remember during 1994 there were still Dorm cars on the roster) that were lost twenty years ago when it was a sure bet that there were to be 100 V-I's, and 'last minute' the order was whacked in half.
Right. With the 130-car order, Amtrak will be running in place, but not getting very far. I'm impatient to see more progress.
Gilbert B Norman wrote: I highly doubt if the 70 car option will be exercised as it stands, but the next generation of LD Coaches could well be formed from the Viewshell. Lest we forget, no licensing fees need be paid to anyone, as Amtrak owns the rights to that particular design.
I may have to console myself with the thought that a big order for Viewliner II coaches could at some point down the line accommodate a small order for more baggage cars, bagg/dorms, sleepers, even diners. So I'm willing to wait for more V II sleepers etc until after we get a large number of single-level coaches in the fleet.

---------------------------------------------

When I look at some of Amtrak's issues, I make some generalizations. For one,

In every instance that I know of where frequencies have been added, ridership has grown smartly, usually doubling or better. The Cascades, the State of Illinois trains, the Piedmont, the San Joaquins and Capital Corridor, the Downeaster, the Lynchburger, probably the Norfolk train too, as an add-on to the Newport News service. And the PRIIA studies on the Cardinal and the Sunset Limited forecast that ridership would double if those trains could go daily. So I believe that ridership would more or less double with a second frequency on an LD train, but I don't know of an example where a single LD route has gained a second frequency.

So I conclude: More frequencies is better for ridership, because I believe these instances demonstrate that there's substantial untapped demand for Amtrak.

Another related general point: More frequencies spread costs over more trains, reducing the cost per train and cost per rider. That's mostly station costs and advertising/marketing, but probably other overhead that I don't know enuff to point to now.

Take that to another level: More cars on a train are cheaper.

The heaviest car on the train is the locomotive. It's also heavy on crew costs. If that locomotive is hauling five cars and one more coach or sleeper is added, the additional weight has negligible impact on fuel costs and none at all on the engine crew costs. Refine that to another level, if a train has a baggage car and a diner, or diner-lounge, to support a sleeper and a handful of coach cars, putting on another sleeper would add a revenue car and thus improve the ratio of revenue cars to supporting non-revenue cars.

We know that many LD trains sell out of sleeper space, and even coach seats, fairly frequently. Let's add capacity until it meets demand. We can't do that without much more equipment, which gets us back to why I want to see another 70 or so Viewliner IIs from the option.

I didn't even get into network effects. Obviously each additional train connection brings more passengers to each train involved, whether that's at Chicago with many trains, or at Raleigh where one more Piedmont created a new connection from Charlotte and Goldsboro to a Silver to Florida.

And "saturation marketing". Every time you drive past a branch bank, that's a kind of advertising for that bank. Every time another Amtrak train passes you -- and more so when it makes a station stop, LOL -- that's advertising for Amtrak. More trains, a bigger Amtrak, gives passenger trains more 'mind share'.

Cutting, or stagnating, rarely lead to business success. Amtrak will get better when it grows, because it grows.
  by Woody

ngotwalt wrote:. . .The protests almost always get invalidated. . . . This to me doesn't not constitute a mess...its just a run of the mill Tuesday...its how business is done these days. It will get sorted out quickly, and then we'll get back to our regularly scheduled Viewliner discussion.
I hope you're right. I'm still not happy about a delay of 30 days and counting when we need those locomotives delivered and paid for by September 2017. But from what you're saying, Amtrak and the partner states probably have allowed for some amount of time wasted on sour grapes.
  by David Benton

I'm not sure its just a case of sour grapes. EMD seems to have a valid argument, hopefully Siemens has a convincing answer, that heads off a court case.
As for the Viewliners, a 50 % increase in sleepers(+ dorm space)is an improvement on the staus quo, no matter what has happened in the past.
  by gokeefe

ThirdRail7 wrote:Was that even veiled? At any rate, take completed cars out of the statement and you may be on to something. We'll see.
Wow. Hopefully not. These cars are crucial to turning around the Atlantic Coast Service and other single level Long Distance service trains. Even if they can't help these trains return to operational profitability (not seen since the '50s in most cases) at least they would substantially reduce losses. I can only hope that Amtrak pushes CAF to get across the finish line. Tens of millions of dollars in operational funds saved are riding on these cars.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Woody wrote:In every instance that I know of where frequencies have been added, ridership has grown smartly, usually doubling or better. The Cascades, the State of Illinois trains, the Piedmont, the San Joaquins and Capital Corridor, the Downeaster, the Lynchburger, probably the Norfolk train too, as an add-on to the Newport News service. And the PRIIA studies on the Cardinal and the Sunset Limited forecast that ridership would double if those trains could go daily. So I believe that ridership would more or less double with a second frequency on an LD train, but I don't know of an example where a single LD route has gained a second frequency.

So I conclude: More frequencies is better for ridership, because I believe these instances demonstrate that there's substantial untapped demand for Amtrak.

Another related general point: More frequencies spread costs over more trains, reducing the cost per train and cost per rider. That's mostly station costs and advertising/marketing, but probably other overhead that I don't know enuff to point to now.
Woody, I am likely guilty of pulling this discussion away from its delineated topic of V-II Delivery/Production, but with respect as your writing reflects a high degree of maturity, such thoughts as that immediately captioned overlook a key point - Class I capacity to handle the additional routes and frequencies.

The advocacy community will simply say 'build the needed capacity', and that has been done on several 'Corridors' about the land. But the Studies mandated under RSIA 08 (Div B of that legislation is PRIIA) have shown that the Class I industry is simply not in a position to 'just add one more train' with their existing capacity - and those studies were completed prior to the 'surge' of traffic from handling crude oil.

Even if public funds were available to, say, add additional passing tracks to the Sunset Route to enable a Daily Sunset Limited running on its pre-'64 schedule (#1 passed through El Paso at about midnight) and extending The Eagle (now the 'Golden State' of sorts) to LA and also operating Daily, would certainly support Woody's views towards attractiveness, economy, and efficiency of the trains themselves. But would that represent a wise expenditure of those funds? I would hold that such expenditures would simply have the trains ostensibly benefitted 'in the X-hairs' - and passenger trains will always have opposition. For that matter, name me a program that does not.

So I had best rest with that point being made, lest this material be killed for its off topic discussion.
  by Greg Moore

So back to the question: "Where are the 5 completed Viewliners and what's the issues in testing?"

Inquiring minds want to know and probably will have to be satisfied with "those who say don't know and those who know, can't say." Which I respect, but still frustrating.
  by ngotwalt

I'd also like to know why its only five Viewliners, not all eight completed cars?

Cheers,
Nick
  by Matt Johnson

With regard to the oil surge, it's not just affecting routes in places like North Dakota! We've got new oil train traffic coming down the peninsula here in Virginia heading to the old Yorktown refinery (now some sort of distribution hub). That on top of the heavy coal traffic is making the largely single track line quite busy. I certainly don't think CSX would be willing or easily able to accomodate any increase in Amtrak service to Newport News, though I still hope to see a sleeper added back to trains 66/67! (Though I don't intend to still be here when that happens, though I'm sure I'll visit!)
  by Tadman

Mod Note: Please take this back to actual news of the testing/delivery/production of V-2 cars.
  by Greg Moore

ngotwalt wrote:I'd also like to know why its only five Viewliners, not all eight completed cars?

Cheers,
Nick

Hmm, For some reason I was thinking it was just 5 completed cars, but I believe you're right, 2 of each.

BTW, if Amtrak needs any help up testing the sleepers or diners, let me know ;-)
  by Matt Johnson

Anyone in the Elmira area to attempt some spy shots?
  by Woody

Greg Moore wrote:
ngotwalt wrote:I'd also like to know why its only five Viewliners, not all eight completed cars?

Cheers,
Nick
Hmm, For some reason I was thinking it was just 5 completed cars, but I believe you're right, 2 of each.
A witness reported seeing 5 Viewliners parked on a track not far from the CAF factory. Someone suggested they were due to take a joy ride soonish, but not to the NEC just yet.

So we hope to see the 8, two-of-each cars soonish, but a confirmed sighting of even 5 Viewliner IIs on a joy ride would spread much joy hereabouts!
  by gaspeamtrak

Woody wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:

Cheers,
Nick
A witness reported seeing 5 Viewliners parked on a track not far from the CAF factory. Someone suggested they were due to take a joy ride soonish, but not to the NEC just yet.

So we hope to see the 8, two-of-each cars soonish, but a confirmed sighting of even 5 Viewliner IIs on a joy ride would spread much joy hereabouts!

Are there no Amtrak fans within a 300 mile radius of the CAF factory that would kill to get the first pictures or video of these cars???
Come on people???!!!! Lets get a move on or I may have to come down from Canada and do your dirty work for you! :P :P :P
  by ApproachMedium

Bring your butt on down. Nobody wants to go railfanning up there. its been too damn cold lol.
  by twropr

So, if five Viewliner II's have been sighted outside the CAF building, what are the other three cars that supposedly have been seen?

Andy