• articulated auto racks

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by SRS125

I was wondering how many autos can be parked in an articulated Auto Rack seeing that there only 145 feet long or 72.5 feet if devided in half between the articulation joint. I know that a standered 89ft auto rack being able to handle 15 autos or 10 trucks. I guess what I geting at is how many autos can be fit in each half of an articulated auto rack and do they put autos in the articulation joint in the car?

by UPRR engineer

I tryed looking for you yesterday when i was at work friend, the two auto trains that i ran yesterday were all empty. I doubt they are any cars in the articulated joint but ill find out for sure.

by SRS125

I sat down and looked over a model of an articulated autorack for an hour and am guessing that each half can hold about 12 cars or 6 trucks/Vans in each half give them a figure of about 24 cars or 6 trucks/vans in them total. The joint would be the only questionable section on my mind if 2 or 3 cars would be parked there in a bi-level or
tri-level car.

by AmtrakFan

NO they aren't articulate they have 4 Wheels but one truck in the middle.

by Joe

AmtrakFan wrote:NO they aren't articulate they have 4 Wheels but one truck in the middle.
That would make it articulated....
  by UPRR engineer

SRS125 wrote: do they put autos in the articulation joint in the car?
Got a good look last night, no they dont buddy.

by SRS125

ok cool thanks for the update.