• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Matt Johnson

electricron wrote:
Whether it does or not has nothing to do with Viewliner II production and delivery, or how many Amtrak ultimately buys.
Except when we're in an era where everything is under the budget axe, and modernizing our transportation infrastructure continues to be seen as a luxury rather than a necessity.
  by Woody

Greg Moore wrote:
Bob Roberts wrote:. . . this Amtrak page says that some new viewliners will be used as through cars on the Pennsylvania / Capitol ltd.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't see anything there. . . Anyway, unless it's in an official press release I wouldn't put much stock in that.

The link worked fine for me. The page is for the "Amtrak Pennsylvanian", a Facebook "Community" blog.

The comments are interesting.

Alex Zafiropoulos: 1 cafe car, 2 coaches, and a sleeper is the proposed plan.

Amtrak Pennsylvanian Kurt Weber: This is a reiteration of a statement stated in the PRIIA acts as effort to cut operating losses on the Capitol Limited. As several Viewliner 2 series are nearing completion, we found it necessary to restate this information.

John Broxup: not to burst anyone's bubble but the new cars are at least 2-5 years out, and there are no coaches or cafe cars in the order. Also, NS has not yet agreed to a timetable for track changes in Pittsburgh necessary for the switching operation. It's really a pipe-dream more than anything, almost none of the "service improvements" Amtrak outlined have much of a chance of ever being implemented. By the time this comes around we'll have a new president, and a new congress.

Later he said,
Amtrak Pennsylvanian John Broxup: Amtrak currently has a surplus of cafés. The switches are supposed to take less than a few days to complete. The Pennsylvanian will receive the first of the Viewliners. According to schedule, it could happen within the next FY.

Kevin Moore: Through service would be welcomed as NS currently charges $3,800 per car for this switch move in Pittsburgh.

John Broxup, again: the plan is to run both single-level and superliner equip in the same train CHI-PIT. The trans/dorm would be used for access between the two sections of the train.

Kurt Weber: Does anyone have concrete proof that this is happening? Because it sounds like a buff fantasy. Meh, I've been surprised before but I'll believe it when I see it.

And then this splash of cold water, LOL.
Jeremy Besig: I'm a conductor on the 42/43. I can tell you in all honesty that there has been no talk of adding through cars to our train anytime soon. theoretically they could do it now if they wanted to. the through cars could be on our hind end and we could set them off on 4 track after we come back in from the turn (4 track has power supply as thats where the private cars are stored). then when the cap limited comes in they could pull past CP Pitt and reverse into 4 track and tack on the through cars. the only thing I heard that is concrete is that the pennsy will be getting a baggage car in june or july. if they add through cars then they have to have sleeper attendants and train attendants and I don't think Amtrak is too interested in paying for all that. hell, they only have us 2 conductors to work a 400 passenger train! I'm not too optimistic about these through cars happening anytime soon my friends.

I highlighted the rumor that the Pennsylvanian might get a baggage car in June or July.

Hmmn. That would be after one of the first two Viewliner II baggage cars is field tested, and enters service. That's plausible. Of course, the new Viewliner IIs will surely start on the NEC LD trains, replacing the most-trouble prone for the longest distance. Then a displaced baggage car, even a troubled one, could move to the Pennsylvanian route and only make NEC troubles NYC to Philly.

Amtrak will get two testing/demonstration sleepers at about the same time, from those two-of-each designated for testing. Unless they ordered one more sleeper "for testing" without saying anything, looks like they''d run two Viewliner IIs and one Viewliner I if they do this. (Assume they'd need three for NYC-Chicago service.) If they're gonna mix n match '2 new 1 old', why not mix n match '2 new 2 old' on a Silver? Some train is gonna mix n match for a while. I don't see Amtrak parking even one of them on a siding until they get a matching set, not after waiting this long and needing the revenue. LOL.

So I tend to believe the conductor's rumor. As soon as Amtrak has one more baggage car, they'll use it to expand service. Good. I like that. The wreck yard will start to get some after 30 or 40 new ones are in the fleet.
  by Champlain Division

Most air to air combat today and in the future will involve shooting missiles beyond visual range, the day of dogfighting has long been gone. The ability to detect the enemy fighter before it can detect you and shoot and destroy it from farther afar is important today. That's what the F35 is supposed to be able to do better than other jets.
Funny how some never seem to learn from history. This is almost exactly word for word what the experts were saying at the beginning of the Vietnam War. Air Dominance, Air Superiority, whatever you want to call it will ALWAYS involve "dogfighting". No matter how many of the superior numbers the enemy has are eliminated by F-22 and F-35 advanced systems, they won't be able to get them all. Some will get through to visual range when the only ordinance the good guys have left will be their guns. Let us hope they maintain their superior airmanship and dogfighting skills because, in such an environment, those are the only things that will save them and permit them to clear the skies over enemy territory of aircraft.

Let's get off this rabbit trail now.

Still looking for updates on that alleged Viewliner II sighting in Bingo.

(Add "U.S. Air Force 11/78 to 08/89" to the signature below.)
  by electricron

Matt Johnson wrote:
electricron wrote:
Whether it does or not has nothing to do with Viewliner II production and delivery, or how many Amtrak ultimately buys.
Except when we're in an era where everything is under the budget axe, and modernizing our transportation infrastructure continues to be seen as a luxury rather than a necessity.
Compared to items most people will list as necessary items for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, transportation is a luxury. Planes more so than trains, trains more so than buses, buses more so than cars, cars more so than bicycles, bycycles more so than shoes, shoes more so than bare feet. Ships and boats fit in there somewhere too. Luxury is in the eye of the beholder.
  by Matt Johnson

Well, I would argue that if the US wants to be economically competitive, it'd best not let its infrastructure continue to crumble while other industrialized nations invest in things like high speed rail.
  by electricron

Matt Johnson wrote:Well, I would argue that if the US wants to be economically competitive, it'd best not let its infrastructure continue to crumble while other industrialized nations invest in things like high speed rail.
Look at the other industrialized nations carefully, are their unemployment figures higher or lower than America? Then ask why they are? Then ask why should America follow their bad examples?
I certainly agree American government should be investing in transportation, but I don't agree America should be investing in high cost, low economic impact, high speed rail. That's why I accept Amtrak buying relatively slow speed Viewliner IIs. Regular speed trains are just as efficient at moving passengers as high speed trains, they just do it at slower speeds.

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, the American government was faced with the decision to invest in supersonic jetliners (SST), the American government decided not to invest in it even though Britain's, France's, and Russia's governments did. There were those crying that America was falling behind, losing the ball, etc. Boeing privately invested in the 747. Which jetliner was produced in higher numbers and which jetliner is still flying today?

History has proven that every investment for the future or the economy is NOT a wise one. We must selectively choose the correct ones. The 747 is still flying today because it was more efficient at moving passengers than the SST. Being more efficient meant the fares to fly on it was cheaper, and the airlines could earn a higher profit. Becoming more efficient and becoming more profitable in the economy will always be a better investment than just being faster.
Last edited by electricron on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
  by Woody

gokeefe wrote:Being from Maine I think its worth remembering some things:

First and foremost I have very close personal family and friends who have made some very well paying careers out of producing the nation's weapons systems. I am deployed right now in Afghanistan with some of them and others are back at home. Some work at Bath Iron Works building destroyers. Others worked at General Dynamics in Saco building, of all things, the new .50 cal machine guns. These will replace M2s currently in stock (and in combat use I might add) with serial numbers and production dates that can be traced back to WWII.

There are all kinds of other defense related contracts and jobs in Maine that collectively are the single largest source of employment wages, income and wealth for many of Maine's middle class families. I know others too who work for Sikorsky and fly Black Hawk (UH-60) helicopters for the National Guard. When training in Maine they are available for rescue missions, medical evacuations and any other manner of civil support roles that may come up. Point being military acquisition spending has the same dollar for dollar potential towards economic impact as Amtrak's capital programs. Military operations in some cases also have positive impact (especially training at home....ever seen the lines at the Dunkin' Donuts when a National Guard convoy pulls in?) . . .
First and foremost, I'm talking about the usefulness, or not, of some things. Not talking about the worth of the people who patriotically work to make them at our government's request.

Thank you for your service. I respect those who serve the nation. And our families are not so different. Let's see, one cousin rose to Colonel after serving in Afghanistan. Another is there right now, Special Forces. Another is back from his second bid in Afghanistan flying Black Hawks (thanks to those who built them well) after three terms in Iraq and getting shot at in Kosovo. I'm proud of ancestors who fought in every war this country has been in since one was an aide to General Washington. So please, my friend, you don't need to feel so defensive. :wink:

========================================================
Point being military acquisition spending has the same dollar for dollar potential towards economic impact as Amtrak's capital programs.
Not really. Spending to procure equipment may have similar employment effects. But you need to take the next step. Amtrak, like the Union Pacific, uses their capital equipment to try to make money. The Pentagon can't use its equipment to make money. The buck turns into a tank and it grinds to a halt.

Non-military capital equipment is used to improve the value of other stuff, in Transportation by moving stuff from Over Here to Over There, in Mining by digging valuable ore or energy sources out of the ground, in Refining by changing oil into fuels and chemicals and ore into metals, in Utilities by pumping water into aqueducts or capturing energy from wind, in Manufacturing by using equipment to assemble a ton of steel, aluminum, plastic, fabric, battery acid, rubber, Kevlar, and other stuff into an automobile, which is worth quite a bit more than the unassembled parts, in Construction by building space for offices, retail, schools, etc. Almost all of these things are done by companies trying to make a profit and get a return on their investment.

Military equipment can't be used for anything but military purposes. There's investment, but there's zero return on the investment. How can you use a destroyer, or .50 cal machine guns (legally, I mean :wink: ), to make a profit, i.e. to create wealth?

I'll grant that the military is a 2 million-member trade school, teaching computing, flying, mechanical repair, and many other valuable transferrable skills, and that creates wealth, intellectual capital. Of course, you might use money saved from the military to operate a 2 million-member trade school, without needing many destroyers, machine guns, tanks and armored personnel carriers, Atomic bombs, etc.

As for demand, the government could spend and create demand at Dunkin' Donuts by giving money to the homeless and hungry. It could send out coupons good for the products at Dunkin' Donuts along with the Social Security payments. It could pay people to dig ditches and fill them back up. It could add a $300 bonus to the income tax refunds like it did in 2009.

Seriously, no disrespect to you, your family, and friends But all those things built at Bath Iron Works, Sikorsky, General Dynamics are useless for making money, i.e. creating wealth. Economically speaking, it is wasted. It could be invaluable for protecting us from the bad guys who want to kill us and take our nice things. But nobody can use any of it to make a profit and create more wealth.

I'm glad when people have jobs. This country would have more jobs if we didn't have so many warships, military helicopters, machine guns, fighter planes … That may be a shocking notion, but it's true. If we simply gave away one of those things, how would anybody use it to make money, i.e. create wealth? If we gave away a container ship, or a sightseeing helicopter, a Fedex-type cargo plane, somebody could use it to make money. So if you didn't know how to run that business, you could sell it. Nobody in the civilized world can use weaponry to make money. That F-35 can't haul stuff, or extract or refine it, or assemble or erect stuff to make a profit and create wealth.

People make money building weapons, sure, Then the money sort of dies because the weaponry is completely unproductive, infertile, dare I say. There's no reproduction of value the way there is with equipment that makes stuff or helps to move stuff.

Spending on Amtrak is of two types. Capital investments, like building better-faster-safer right of way and buying new equipment, help Amtrak make more money (or lose less, LOL, the same thing economically speaking). Spending on subsidies for, oh, cut flowers and chocolates or even raises, can create jobs. But at the next step, unlike putting a new locomotive to use, those disposables don't create more wealth.
  by Woody

electricron wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Well, I would argue that if the US wants to be economically competitive, it'd best not let its infrastructure continue to crumble while other industrialized nations invest in things like high speed rail.
. . .
I certainly agree American government should be investing in transportation, but I don't agree America should be investing in high cost, low economic impact, high speed rail. That's why I accept Amtrak buying relatively slow speed Viewliner IIs. Regular speed trains are just as efficient at moving passengers as high speed trains, they just do it at slower speeds.

History has proven that [not] every investment for the future or the economy is a wise one. We must selectively choose the correct ones.
Sorry, time is a piece of efficiency, certainly from the customers' point of view! C'mon.

I agree that enhanced speed, say up to 110 mph, is often a better next step than trying to get to 200 or more mph in one giant leap. At a fraction of the capital cost, that gives you twice the current Amtrak average of about 55 mph. (Don't ask me, LOL, does anybody know the source for this often-cited number?)

Of course, that's the target of the showpiece projects under Obama's multi-billion HSR program: St Louis-Chicago and Detroit-Chicago. That's the target of the SouthEast HSR D.C-Richmond-Petersburg-new route-Raleigh-Greensboro-Charlotte. It looks likely to be the target for the Empire Corridor as well. (For another $8 Billion it could go 15 mph faster Albany-Syracuse-Rochester-Buffalo. They are not serious about that option, for sure.)

As we're seeing in California, the 200-mph+ projects are so costly as to be very vulnerable to funding delays.

On the NEC, where Cong. Mica used to make noise about getting up to 200-mph+, Joe Boardman is working to get a viable fast train with a top speed 160 mph and fewer slow spots. Yeah, let the next Amtrak President try to get it up to 200-mph. LOL.
  by Greg Moore

Meanwhile, I'm wishing I hadn't brought up the F-35 (though I agree with woody mostly on his comments.)

But this thought crossed my mind today as I was walking.

I'm really curious what the hold up is. I can understand that those who know probably can't say.

But I'm thinking something like the ACS-64 has to deal with voltage and frequency changes, complex software, etc.
On a viewliner, you're taking a fairly well known design, updating it and putting in fairly static items (beds, racks, etc.)

Not saying "there shouldn't be problems" but the problems are most likely very different from some of the early ACS-64 issues.

So now I'm curious...
  by ApproachMedium

There was quite a few mods done to the old design when these new cars were done. There was plenty of electronics that were put in to the old cars that were probably obsolete by the time the car was built much like many other things amtrak has bought in the past has had (See HHP/Acela Trainset). The new cars come with a proven HVAC system that the older viewliners were swapped to. They have the same package unit HVAC systems, and the same modernized ABC battery charger. However beyond that they are totally different. The electrical schematics were updated, the 3 phase 480 trainline now travels UNDER the car like everything else amtrak has instead of over on top of the roof on an insulated bus bar. Many other low voltage items were changed around. The toilet plumbing is totally different. Room layouts are not the same.

There has been some snags in the process, these cars are over a year late in their expected original delivery date. I know on our end (amtrak employees) we were told there was a lot of delay in the manufacture supplying the railroad with the schematics for the plumbing and electrical, something that was required for them to make approvals for funding to continue the project. That was well over a year ago though. I am sure there was plenty of other back and fourth with them besides just that.

I for one will be very happy to see these cars come to the yard and begin to enter service. As much as I love to keep our heritage strong, I couldnt want more than anyone to see every last heritage diner and baggage car roll off a cliff in to the sunset. Or at least the diners off to some museum. They are nothing but a nightmare to work on and cause way too many service delays.
  by Greg Moore

ApproachMedium wrote:There was quite a few mods done to the old design when these new cars were done. There was plenty of electronics that were put in to the old cars that were probably obsolete by the time the car was built much like many other things amtrak has bought in the past has had (See HHP/Acela Trainset). The new cars come with a proven HVAC system that the older viewliners were swapped to. They have the same package unit HVAC systems, and the same modernized ABC battery charger. However beyond that they are totally different. The electrical schematics were updated, the 3 phase 480 trainline now travels UNDER the car like everything else amtrak has instead of over on top of the roof on an insulated bus bar. Many other low voltage items were changed around. The toilet plumbing is totally different. Room layouts are not the same.

There has been some snags in the process, these cars are over a year late in their expected original delivery date. I know on our end (amtrak employees) we were told there was a lot of delay in the manufacture supplying the railroad with the schematics for the plumbing and electrical, something that was required for them to make approvals for funding to continue the project. That was well over a year ago though. I am sure there was plenty of other back and fourth with them besides just that.

I for one will be very happy to see these cars come to the yard and begin to enter service. As much as I love to keep our heritage strong, I couldnt want more than anyone to see every last heritage diner and baggage car roll off a cliff in to the sunset. Or at least the diners off to some museum. They are nothing but a nightmare to work on and cause way too many service delays.
Thanks. Yeah, to be clear I'm not saying, "oh they're the same, it should be easy" I figure there's a lot of changes, and you outline some decent ones. I'm just thinking the issues are probably fairly different than the ACS-64 issues.

Thanks for the insight on some of the issues and the like.

And while I love sitting in the old dining cars when I eat, I really look forward to a dining car younger than my father!
  by Matt Johnson

ApproachMedium wrote:The electrical schematics were updated, the 3 phase 480 trainline now travels UNDER the car like everything else amtrak has instead of over on top of the roof on an insulated bus bar.
Oh, so that's what those are! I always wondered why the Viewliner I's had old boxcar style walkways on the roof! :-D
  by Jehochman

Buy an armored personnel carrier, a tank, a helicopter, or 1,000 machine guns. Sorry, they don't create wealth Over Here. They don't even create wealth Over There -- unless or until they're put to use in war to destroy the other guys' lives and wealth. And that can happen, of course.
Not so. Tanks, fighters, helicopters, subs, etc. deter bad people from coming and stealing your car, train, house, school, business, etc. We need a balance of security, infrastructure and everything else. It isn't all or nothing. We have a messy system, called democracy, running on an even messier platform, called politics, that allows all 317+ million of us to figure out how to allocate our government budget. You can argue that we spend too much on military, that we should spend more on infrastructure, but please don't confuse things by saying military spending is worthless. It surely isn't.
  by Greg Moore

Jehochman wrote:
Buy an armored personnel carrier, a tank, a helicopter, or 1,000 machine guns. Sorry, they don't create wealth Over Here. They don't even create wealth Over There -- unless or until they're put to use in war to destroy the other guys' lives and wealth. And that can happen, of course.
Not so. Tanks, fighters, helicopters, subs, etc. deter bad people from coming and stealing your car, train, house, school, business, etc. We need a balance of security, infrastructure and everything else. It isn't all or nothing. We have a messy system, called democracy, running on an even messier platform, called politics, that allows all 317+ million of us to figure out how to allocate our government budget. You can argue that we spend too much on military, that we should spend more on infrastructure, but please don't confuse things by saying military spending is worthless. It surely isn't.
And please don't put words in someone else's mouth. He didn't say military spending was worthless. He said they don't CREATE wealth. There's a huge difference.
  by Rockingham Racer

It would make me happy if we discussed trains here........ :wink:

And, as Champlain Division wrote: "Still looking for updates on that alleged Viewliner II sighting in Bingo." I am, too.