• Interesting "northeast regional" map

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by 25Hz

While bumbling around looking up railroad related stuff i came across this map, which i thought might interest some on here...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... gional.svg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy.
  by Greg Moore

David Benton wrote:Pretty cool.Are the other black lines railroads or roads ?
Roads.
  by ThinkNarrow

Based on the concentric semi-circles around Boston representing 128, 495, etc. I would say roads.
  by Woody

Thanks. It's a good map. Many maps are so dumbed down and over-simplified that only a Congresscritter could love them. Others show roads in such detail we can't make out the rail lines. This one emphasizes the NEC rail line and all the station names, without any road clutter.
  by The EGE

Those maps have been added to Wikipedia articles in recent months; I've worked with the folks creating them, but not made any myself with that template. They're made with a site called ShareMap that's been partially integrated into Wikipedia.
  by taoyue

Woody wrote:Thanks. It's a good map. Many maps are so dumbed down and over-simplified that only a Congresscritter could love them. Others show roads in such detail we can't make out the rail lines. This one emphasizes the NEC rail line and all the station names, without any road clutter.
Go to http://www.openstreetmap.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, click on the Layers icon, and select "Transport Map." The railroads get shown in black, the stations appear as red dots. All the roads are grayed out, so that they do not distract from the railways.

It does get cluttered in New York City because the bus routes show up in red, but most cities don't have a lot of bus information available yet.

For example, here's the MBTA subway and commuter rail network around Boston. (Click for larger image)
boston-commuter-rail-osm.png
You can see just how many curves there are on this stretch of the Northeast Corridor! (Click for larger image)
ct-shore-line-osm-transport.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.