• Stored 0-4-0 near Clarks?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Trainlover479

I was looking through the Surviving Steam Locomotive database and when i was looking at New Hampshire, it listed that a locomotive, Simons Wrecking 0-4-0T #6, is in storage across road from Clark's Trading Post, Lincoln, NH. Can anyone confirm this? what is her condition?
  by b&m 1566

I believe that's the engine sitting at the entrance to Loon Mountain.
  by Pat Fahey

Hi
First lets clear up some information dealing with the first post , ex Simons Steel was numbered # 1 not 6 . She was built by Baldwin ,in 1925 not Alco in 1915 . This information came from Guide to the Collection which was a handout at the old Steamtown .
Next the engine sitting at Loon Mountain is NOT ex Simons Steel , she is ex New England Wood Preserving # 2 , which became Koppers #2 , engine was sold to Ed Clark in 1954 . Engine became White Mountain Central RR in 1969 . This information came from
Steam locomotive information http://www.steamlocomotive.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here is a photo of EX Simons Steel at the old Steamtown in Vermont .
ex-Simons Steel at old Steamtown site.jpg # 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by JohnR19

The locomotive is at Clark's Trading Post,but not open for public inspection. according to steam locomotive.com under steamtown usa ,bellows falls' vermont,locomotive is Simon's wrecking #6 built by alco[cooke].Also locomotive sitting out in front of Loon Mt. was built for watertown arsenal,ma. sold to all three different paper companies operating in lincoln,nh before being sold to Ed Clark.
  by bml54

she's in good shape but the csrr is interested in her she has been on display sience the 70's.
  by p42thedowneaster

Conway Scenic wad interested in an 0-4-0T? Were they planning to run it Thomas style?
  by JohnR19

WHich 0-4-0 the one by Loon mountain,or the one at Clark's trading post that is not on public display,or the one they run for White Mt.Central days. WHich of the 3 do they want.
  by eustis22

I rode the Loon 0-4-0 when they used it to shuttle skiers to the East? West Basin.
  by JohnR19

The 0-4-0 engine you rode is a german engine that has a tender on it.The 0-4-0T is the one sitting out on the kancamangus highway in front of Loon Mt. that at one time was also owned by Clark's Trading Post,along with the other 2 0-4-0T that they have on there property.
  by p42thedowneaster

http://whitemountaincentralrr.com/history/locomotives/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm only seeing two standard gauge 0-4-0T steam locomotives in the Lincoln area. The Kopper's engine is at Clark's and it is operational. The other engine is at Loon's entrance and had been EB&L #3....surely #3 would stay in the Pemi valley?
  by JohnR19

The other 0-4-0T is not listed on their website. But they do own Simon's Wrecking #6 which is not on display. Pictures of it can be seen on Steam locomotivedotcom under surviving steam locomotives in the USA, under the new hampshire listed views.
  by b&m 1566

JohnR19 wrote:Kancamangus Highway
You mean the Kancamagus Highway :wink:
  by bml54

they wanted it for a static display I met mr. hartlett the general manager of the csrr and that's what he told me.
  by JohnR19

Since they just moved the 0-4-0T by Loon Mt., so they could build a new bridge.I think maybe Clark's would sell them Simon's Wrecking, their other 0-4-0T that is not public display or on their roster.
  by bml54

clarks doesn't own it its owned by the town