• RR Division is Hiring

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by AlexC

Here's your chance, sort of.
This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent and a valid driver's license. As detailed in 49 CFR 240, must possess a current Locomotive Engineer Certification, including NORAC Book of Rules. Familiarity with SEPTA Regional Rail train lines, stops and destinations is preferred but not required. One year of Engineer operating experience is preferred. Qualifications on SEPTA's physical characteristics and/or on Amtrak's Harrisburg-Northeast Corridor are preferred.

In your previous railroad position(s), you must have maintained an acceptable safety, performance and attendance record.

We offer a starting rate of $22.21/hour, with periodic pay rate percentage increases starting at 13 months up until 100 % on the 181st month (current 100% rate is $30.10). We offer a competitive benefits package, an employee transportation pass, good on all SEPTA vehicles, and paid vacation and holidays.
  by Limited-Clear

So they start out on almost half what Amtrak pays their top rate, you never make it to the equivelent of amtraks top rate, and it takes 15yrs to get to Septas top rate!!!! If you already have experience I really can't see many people rushing with applications in hand!!!!
  by CNJGeep

They must be really desperate if they're just hiring engineers (sorta) off the street.
  by zebrasepta

How do you even get an engineer training?
  by GE45tonner

zebrasepta wrote:How do you even get an engineer training?
Have previous railroad experience. There's MODOC and similar programs but from I what I heard they are not as legitimate.
  by NorthPennLimited

They have a shot of scooping some NS and CSX employees. Coal business is going in the toilet, and that makes up 25% of their total revenue. CSX posted their earnings report this week and they only made 429 million in the 4th quarter.

SEPTA might get lucky and pickup a few furloughed freight guys. Not sure if they still do it, but whenever you got laid off or furloughed, the Railroad Retirement Board used to give you a list of railroads that were looking to hire experienced railroaders with your RR unemployment benefits package.
  by Limited-Clear

Without taking it off topic, for NS and CSX their coal business went downhill but the oil business is booming, they might not have as many furloughed guys as you would think
  by Launcher

AlexC wrote:Familiarity with SEPTA Regional Rail train lines, stops and destinations is preferred but not required.
Ha!

Typical SEPTA standard for new hires
  by ThirdRail7

181 months seems like an unrealistic amount of time to reach 100%. Is it possible that this is a typo? Perhaps it is only 81 months?
  by enginedave

I'm in the final stages of being hired as an engineer. They said they are "very interested" in me and sent me immediately for my medical. I just have to get a sleep study because stupid me had to mention I had sleep apnea and I haven't had a study in a few years. They loved me for my "extensive" passenger and some freight experience. What is the probability of negotiating full rate to start since they conceded I would have no trouble with training/qualifying and train handling? I feel there is always room to negotiate or will they say it's contractual?
  by Limited-Clear

You will start at the same rate as other new hires, the only ones they carry over the seniority years are people who are already working with Septa, I hope it was someone from T&E that said you would have no problems, most HR people don't know the first thing about the operating side, but if you have been through it already then you should know what to expect
  by trackwelder

maybe a little off topic, but what the hell.

i work for city track division, and have kicked around the idea of jumping to regional rail ever since i hired on two and a half years ago. could this be a good move?
  by NorthPennLimited

depends on how much time you have, and your age. If you switch to the railroad, you leave Social Security and fall under the US Railroad Retirement system. Under RR retirement, you have to work 30 years and reach age 60 to receive retirement bennies. Railroad Retirement taxes are more than FICA taxes, but it provides greater benefits to you and your spouse ( or life partner).

If you are over 35, I'd say stay where you are.

If you leave SEPTA to work for a big railroad like UP, BNSF, CSX, KCS, or NS, you will work 3 weeks ON 1 week OFF in a system gang working all over the system until you have enough seniority to work a division gang, and maybe someday a local track inspector or road master. Track workers on class 1 railroads are treated like gypsies. Google "camp cars" when you get a chance. It's like a dirty trailer park on steel wheels. Hard way to earn a paycheck
  by enginedave

Limited-Clear wrote:You will start at the same rate as other new hires, the only ones they carry over the seniority years are people who are already working with Septa, I hope it was someone from T&E that said you would have no problems, most HR people don't know the first thing about the operating side, but if you have been through it already then you should know what to expect
Yes it was someone from T&E. Where can I find a copy of the agreement?
  by South Jersey Budd

There is no room for negotiating when you have a collective bargaining agreement (contract). T&E rates of pay are based on hire date at SEPTA which will be your first day of class / orientation. How could they justify putting you at top rate ahead of some of the current engineers who are working their way to top rate for 3 or 4 years now and will be ahead of you on the roster? They would have to negotiate a special progression just for you and have it ratified by the membership.

You will follow the rate progression found in the BLE agreement, which you will probably get a copy of when your officially hired. You will receive raises at 12, 24 & 36 months and be at the top BLE rate at 60 months from hire. At 120 and 180 months you will receive longevity pay raises.

Previous operating experience will help you but if you don't have class 1 operating experience running at speed with signals and on a schedule etc it will take some adjusting. And expect to be on call for at least the next 5 years with a weekday off and working weekends and holidays.