• SEPTA closes front seats on Silverliner V

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by AlexC

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
jackintosh11 wrote:Are there pictures?
Yes there are pics. I was sworn under oath to not share them. Sorry.
I think Channel 6 showed video of it.
  by jackintosh11

I wouldn't want to be sitting in my usual spot when that happened. Fortunately, I get off at Upsal. On that note, why is it that the station buildings are on the outbound side on the CHW line? It seems much more logical to have them on the inbound side.
  by bikentransit

Sounds like a foolish design. On the old cars, the engineer had 3 means of escape. Now he/she has 1, and considering the close confines, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to really get pinned in there.
  by Clearfield

bikentransit wrote:Sounds like a foolish design. On the old cars, the engineer had 3 means of escape. Now he/she has 1, and considering the close confines, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to really get pinned in there.
The design is based on the FRA requirement NOT to have vestibule doors.
  by Clearfield

jackintosh11 wrote:Why are vestibule doors a problem?
Apparently the FRA felt they decreased the car's crash worthiness.

That's why all new MU's in the US share the quarterpoint door design.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Clearfield wrote:
jackintosh11 wrote:Why are vestibule doors a problem?
Apparently the FRA felt they decreased the car's crash worthiness.

That's why all new MU's in the US share the quarterpoint door design.
Same reason while NJT decabbed the Comet II cabs (which MNCR did not with their overhauled Comet IIs).
  by Patrick Boylan

NorthPennLimited, It's been more than 2 days and nobody's answered my questions, except 25hz partially.

BuddSilverliner269, you say you know of pictures, but can't share them. Can you answer the questions:
which door got crumpled, or what did NorthPennLimited mean by 'parlor door'? 25Hz has agreed with my understanding that it's the trainline door from the inside of the car to the outside, and not the door from the engineer's cab to the passenger area.
if the crumpled door trapped the engineer how did he get out?
  by ex Budd man

25Hz wrote:Parlor door, from my understanding, is the door that is opened to allow people to pass between cars, and closed on the fore and aft ends of the consist. An impact might bend the door, or the frame post, causing the door to intrude into the passenger compartment oddly, or be stuck unable to move in some position.

I dunno how that would affect the cab door though.... The overlap of the door sweeps is very small and any damage would not be in a way that would jam the cab door shut. If the front right frame post was pushed in enough, it might cause the door to jam against the floor, or ceiling, but it'd need to be a pretty major collision for that to happen.
The end door was struck by the bumper and folded in at the bottom so far that the cab door was blocked. If the cab was full width the engineman might have been able to exit via the partition door.
  by Patrick Boylan

Did the engineer get out of the cab eventually? How? Or are they handing sandwiches and waste containers back and forth through the window?
  by Limited-Clear

No he is still in there waiting for them to figure out how to rescue him and whether Septa has a budget for the process
  by NorthPennLimited

image.jpg
He crawled out of the sun roof to get out of the cab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.