• Utah Railway GP40 #3000 ON CSX X386 - 1/31/14

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ScotCP356

CSX train X386, which I believe is a extra of Q386 (Chicago-Selkirk), has a UTAH railway GP40 #3000 leading! It was in Avon Indiana this morning and will be in Upstate New York by tomorrow. Now let me tell you how great this is!! It's great to see other roads GP40's leading a CSX mix freight! Now the timing of the train that be arriving in Buffalo is unknown, there hasn't been any updates on the train. But hopefully it will be arriving tomorrow morning. Might also work in each yard like most other freights do. But how odd is this having a UTAH GP40 in charge!! This should be fun!! Have fun catching this!!

-Scottie
  by lvrr325

Doesn't G&W own Utah Railway now, through whatever batch of mergers?
  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:Doesn't G&W own Utah Railway now, through whatever batch of mergers?
Yes they do.
  by Dick H

Here's a photo of the UTAH 3000 on its home turf in 2011.
Thanks to Paolo Roffo for the photo.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 898&nseq=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Photo from the other side in 4/13. Thanks to Quinn Clegg for the pic.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3445069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by terms-d

ScotCP356 wrote:CSX train X386, which I believe is a extra of Q386 (Chicago-Selkirk), has a UTAH railway GP40 #3000 leading! It was in Avon Indiana this morning and will be in Upstate New York by tomorrow. Now let me tell you how great this is!! It's great to see other roads GP40's leading a CSX mix freight! Now the timing of the train that be arriving in Buffalo is unknown, there hasn't been any updates on the train. But hopefully it will be arriving tomorrow morning. Might also work in each yard like most other freights do. But how odd is this having a UTAH GP40 in charge!! This should be fun!! Have fun catching this!!

-Scottie
I don't know where you get your information, but UTAH 3000 definitely isn't leading. It's also on track for a night run through Rochester.
  by MC6853

Even though I personally don't know for sure I tend to agree it's not leading... Word has it moving to another G&W property somewhere in the East... Now, I've never seen or heard of a locomotive moving from one shortline to another even running in a locomotive consist, let alone leading it... Odds are it's trailing in consist behind more common road units...

Color me skeptical...
  by scharnhorst

MC6853 wrote:Even though I personally don't know for sure I tend to agree it's not leading... Word has it moving to another G&W property somewhere in the East... Now, I've never seen or heard of a locomotive moving from one shortline to another even running in a locomotive consist, let alone leading it... Odds are it's trailing in consist behind more common road units...

Color me skeptical...

G&W Owns the unit they can do what ever they want with it as far as shipping else where. It would have been do different than the Buffalo & Pittsburgh sending Units to help with power shortages on Finger Lakes between 1995 and 1999. Even where I am it's not to uncommon to see SKOL and SLWC and on rare occasion Knockville & Kane units intermixed with other locomotives that are also owned by Watco / WAMX.
  by Mike Stellpflug

Power should be UP 7347 - UP 3891 - UTAH 3000.
I believe it's "scheduled" to depart Frontier around midnight.
  by lvrr325

Knowing CSX it's entirely possible they'd start it and put it online if they thought they needed the HP.
  by Memster1

Just passed my house (Attridge Road crossing mile 382) at 3:58PM heading eastbound and is 3rd unit.
  by lakeshoredave

I saw some photos of this locomotive. very unique to see that power this far east. it would be like seeing a florida east coast unit in upstate ny.
  by ScotCP356

BEDT 14 wrote:As of 03 May 2014, Utah #3000 was sitting in the servicing area at Selkirk.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pmg517/se ... 089277538/

All the Best,

Phil
It's on the move now, after getting it's traction motor replaced, heading south now, the last of five units through the Catskill, NY at 11:52 hrs. So, if anybody thought it would come back west, well you minus well throw that out of window! It's heading down to one of them southern states.

- Scott
  by sd80mac

ScotCP356 wrote:
BEDT 14 wrote:As of 03 May 2014, Utah #3000 was sitting in the servicing area at Selkirk.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pmg517/se ... 089277538/

All the Best,

Phil
It's on the move now, after getting it's traction motor replaced, heading south now, the last of five units through the Catskill, NY at 11:52 hrs. So, if anybody thought it would come back west, well you minus well throw that out of window! It's heading down to one of them southern states.

- Scott

that's long time to sit.... didn't traction motor seized or broke down... on riverline in Feb?? Shops should have ample parts to replace right away...