• Maine Northern Railway (ex-MMA lines operated by EMR/NBSR)

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by fogg1703

Rail has never been a given for this potential traffic and specifically during the initial Thermogen press releases and comments state the pellets would be trucked to Eastport to be exported to Europe due to the underutilized conveyor system already in place in Eastport. The initial production numbers of 110,000 tons a year for export leave the door open to trucking anywhere instead of rail. That being said, the potential exists for ramped up production once a steady market is established for the pellets. If a Searsport routing is chosen, financing may come from Sprague or Thermogen itself as the SOM has already spent good money on the conveyor system in Eastport which sits unused.
  by CN9634

A poor spending decision by the State which is just one of many I've seen. The three port strategy is a waste of time and resources.... focus on one, maybe two that have a chance. No offense, but Eastport has no real chance for anything major.
  by fogg1703

While I don't necessarily disagree that the conveyor system was wasted on Eastport, if Thermogen ever builds their proposed Eastport plant, up to 300,000 tons/year could use the states conveyor there. I wonder if they will continue to pursue grants for rail construction to the port after missing out in 2010 on a $57 million TIGER grant. A "bulk" conveyor without rail access is peculiar to say the least.
And while we are completely off topic, does Woodland use Eastport for export of pulp? Domtar was a huge shipper out of Eastport before they sold their plant.
  by RRBUFF

Woodland Pulp LLC still uses the Eastport dock > They have recently started also using The Port of Saint John shippinf containers of pulp.
  by fogg1703

Thanks RRBUFF. It would be real slick if they could load finished pulp on empty wood racks for the trip to Saint John. Loaded wood racks in to Woodland from MNR, reloaded with pulp bales for Saint John, then returned empty to MNR to repeat the process. That would be ideal equipment utilization and save a deadhead container move to the mill. A wood rack is not unlike a flatbed truck trailer....
  by Backshophoss

Bales of wood pulp do not do well in the elements,need to be transported IN a trailer,container,or boxcar.
The bales will fall apart to fibers when wet.
  by fogg1703

Backshophoss wrote:Bales of wood pulp do not do well in the elements,need to be transported IN a trailer,container,or boxcar.
The bales will fall apart to fibers when wet.
Good point. I suppose a one hour trip by truck is OK during good weather from Baileyville to Eastport but a journey of considerable distance might be a little more than anyone is willing to risk. It does seem to be the preferred method for transport to the dock at Eastport however...

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... er/280791/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://bangordailynews.com/2010/02/26/ ... expansion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by carchecker

Just saw a picture on the railsnb facebook page of a new crane arriving for NB Southern on CN freight 406 into Saint John.Their old one, apparently a 70 tonner is headed for the MNR.
  by fogg1703

Rare interview with Mr James Irving, President of JDI LTD in BDN two weeks ago.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/02/07/b ... landowner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Notice Bald Mountain mining discussed again. What's old in new again.

An excerpt
[quote]Next generation
The company’s growth in Maine is poised to continue as well, as the next generation of Irvings start work.

James D. Irving’s youngest son, Alex, 24, is currently working with his father to learn the company’s forestry operations, according to Keith.

Irving also is investing $30 million into its revitalized Ashland sawmill, which should create 60 permanent jobs when it re-starts next summer. Irving had previously closed the sawmill on the same site in 2008.

While some of the timber for the Ashland mill will come from Irving-owned land, much of it also will be purchased from other Maine timberland owners.

And several years ago, James Irving began exploring the possibility of mining his holdings on and around Bald Mountain, northwest of Ashland, for gold, silver, copper and zinc.

This year, the Legislature will consider new state mining regulations that would allow Irving to mine the 500-acre site in Aroostook.

Irving estimates the mining would create up to 300 direct jobs and hundreds of other indirect jobs, while providing more than $120 million in state and local taxes. He is also adamant the project will only go forward when and if it is proven to be environmentally sound.

Much like with forestry, this claim draws skepticism from Maine’s environmental community, who accuse the company of extolling sustainability in a quest for profit.

“In our view, Irving appears overly focused on corporate profits that can be made from the natural resources they now own in Maine, rather than a sustainable balance of conservation and economic development,” said Pohlmann of the NRCM.

James Irving admits he is a businessman in an industry that must remain competitive in a global market.

He insists, however, that good business and sustainable practices — such as those of Outcomes Based Forestry — do not come at a cost to the Maine environment.

“We are here for the long term,” he said. “We know we have a lot of critics and people who criticize what we do, but if someone is better informed on what we do, they can see we are interested in the long-term health of the forest and of the state.”

/quote]
  by CN9634

Busy times at Millinocket this past Saturday. A manifest waits to go south with leased GMTX GP38-2 2645, as well as HELM SD40-2s (all rebuilt from SD40s) 6340, 6332 and 6318.

MMA also continues operations in the area. They seem to be using the log site just off the E. Mill branch but nothing has moved over this line in some time. Also some scrap loads moving south.

MNR manifest had a lot of lumber traffic, as well as some chips, empty hoppers, a number of boxes and some LPG for MMA. There were three other tracks with similar traffic. The hoppers for fertilizer (and related activities) have been steadily increasing in volume off PAR. The PAR/MNR gateway seems to be quite busy.

Not sure if they are bringing 6-axles over the new cutoff just north of Brownville Junction or not, but I'll have to ask. With a near 18 degree radius, I'm not sure they would try it.
  by MEC407

Cool video. That horn means business!
  by oat324

I wonder if Irving will invest in welded rail if the oil comes back this route from Keag to St John. I bet that jointed rail is a maintenance nightmare.