• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

nick_anshant wrote:Charlie and I sorted ourselves out off list.
We did...........and I want to apologize to everyone here for not keeping that between us to
begin with. Anyone who has known me on here for a while knows I have strong opinions, but I
really should have kept that off-board and not here. I'm far from perfect--I am a hard-head and
I do apologize.

Like Nick said...........Moving on.

Charlie
  by nick_anshant

C2629 wrote:Are there any plans to add a signal between CP373 and CP369 ?

Not under PTC. There are plans to upgrade the Rochester Amtrak station to install a center platform with two new control points between CP 369 and CP 373. I am not sure as to the time frame for this work to be completed but I would imagine close to two years if not longer.

Nick
  by roadster

Seen the crews out East of Rochester, apparently testing the new installations prior to being put into service over the past week or so. Even caught glimpse of the illuminated display of a signal turned across tracks of a new signal as I went by.
  by MP366

I know it's a ways off yet, but is there a projected date for the cutover from 362 west? I'm guessing that with the number of interlockings and control points, the complexity of that section may take more time than a series of intermediates, but I'm on the outside looking in and to the signal folks it may be all "just another day". Thanks in advance!
  by nick_anshant

MP366 wrote:I know it's a ways off yet, but is there a projected date for the cutover from 362 west? I'm guessing that with the number of interlockings and control points, the complexity of that section may take more time than a series of intermediates, but I'm on the outside looking in and to the signal folks it may be all "just another day". Thanks in advance!
INT 365 up to and including INT 374 is tentatively set for the middle of June.

Nick
  by SST

I went snow shoeing today at the Tift St Nature Preserve. I haven't been there in a couple of years. Mostly due to lack of snow. Lots of it now. The preserve was the LVRR yard which bumps up against the main lines of NS and CSX. I managed to get a picture of the new signals. This is the best angle I could get without crossing any tracks. CPDraw is to the left which this train is coming from [left to right]. Signals are facing the draw bridge. Blue water tower behind me. Picture was taken only minutes before a new moderate snowfall begins.

by nick_anshant

SST wrote:I went snow shoeing today at the Tift St Nature Preserve. I haven't been there in a couple of years. Mostly due to lack of snow. Lots of it now. The preserve was the LVRR yard which bumps up against the main lines of NS and CSX. I managed to get a picture of the new signals. This is the best angle I could get without crossing any tracks. CPDraw is to the left which this train is coming from [left to right]. Signals are facing the draw bridge. Blue water tower behind me. Picture was taken only minutes before a new moderate snowfall begins.

That's the WAS Track 1 at CP 2. This signal has been here for at least a few years and has nothing to do with a signal improvement project.

Nick
  by MP366

For those keeping score...the upright support for the cantilever signal for the EAS CP 373 has been installed, just east of the current signal bridge. Looks like it is a similar install as the WAS CP367 in that it will rotated 90 degrees on the day of activation
  by MC6853

Is this common? Drove past CP-362 in East Rochester today and could see the new signals lit up... Only thing is they were still turned sideways...

Is this why signals about to be put into service are turned towards the tracks and covered? Do they actually switch them on before the cutover date and have them working right up until then; we just don't know it because they're covered up?

I just found it interesting; don't usually see signals lit up that aren't yet in use...
  by nick_anshant

CT is correct. The signals are put through a thorough pretesting process prior to cutover. They are turned so that they are most easily seen by whomever is doing the pretesting. In most cases, the signals will be turned toward the tracks, focused, turned off and then bagged before cutover. The bags are not thick enough to prevent the signal from being seen. Once the cutover begins the new signals will be turned back on.

Nick
  by judgesmails

Hi - I believe that March 2nd had previously been mentioned as a target date for the next cut-over for signals between Macedon and Rochester. I was hoping to see some of the old signals being removed, and thought I'd verify the date. Does March 2nd still sound like an accurate date? Thanks for any information!