• Different Diagrams of Penn Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by lirr42

I recently created several different diagrams of Penn Station depicting the various different infrastructure characteristics of the different station tracks. As you might know, not all station tracks are not alike and these various constraints contribute to the overall craziness of Penn Station.

The diagrams were too large to post here (and compressing them down to 800px would be difficult), so I posted them on my site: http://www.thelirrtoday.com/2014/01/dif ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know what you think.
  by ReadingAve

I think they look great and are very easy to comprehend. Good job!
  by Greg Moore

lirr42 wrote: As you might know, not all station tracks are not alike
So does that mean some ARE alike? :-)

Seriously, though, great diagrams. I'll have to try to remember them to reference or give to others for reference.
  by Greg Moore

Quick notes:

1) Typo near the beginning where you say patters and I think you mean patterns.

2) The "upper level" colors are the a bit harder to read, especially the words NJTransit.

3) I'd be curious to read more about which tower is where, etc, especially since you do mention them.
But otherwise, really enjoying it.
  by jdamelio

Very Good. I have been here a few times and played along in Train Dispatcher.
  by Station Aficionado

Those are great diagrams and easy to follow. They really help me visualize why things are they way they are. Nice work!
  by ExCon90

Greg Moore wrote:Quick notes:

1) Typo near the beginning where you say patters and I think you mean patterns.

2) The "upper level" colors are the a bit harder to read, especially the words NJTransit.

3) I'd be curious to read more about which tower is where, etc, especially since you do mention them.
But otherwise, really enjoying it.
In the Long Island forum, in a thread about Penn Station Diagrams, Jersey Mike has posted a link to a track and signal diagram showing KN top center, tracks 19-21; C at the east end of 18-19; JO at the east end of 11-12; and A spanning the west end of tracks 10-13.
  by lirr42

Greg Moore wrote:3) I'd be curious to read more about which tower is where, etc, especially since you do mention them.
Mr. Moore, I have revised the post to include an additional diagram showing the rough locations of the former towers. You can jump right to it with this link: http://www.thelirrtoday.com/2014/01/dif ... tml#rev114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by cobra30689

"If it's better than stop, keep going" ......HAD. ME. DYING. LAUGHING. :-)
  by Greg Moore

lirr42 wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:3) I'd be curious to read more about which tower is where, etc, especially since you do mention them.
Mr. Moore, I have revised the post to include an additional diagram showing the rough locations of the former towers. You can jump right to it with this link: http://www.thelirrtoday.com/2014/01/dif ... tml#rev114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very nice.

So any reason they were "named" the way they were and what their functions may have been?

Thanks.
  by lirr42

Greg Moore wrote:So any reason they were "named" the way they were and what their functions may have been?
I am not sure of the origins of their names, but I have opened a thread in the Pennsylvania Railroad forum that some will hopefully to shed some light on it. I always believed the letters were just assigned out of simplicity, but I could have been misled.
  by Jersey_Mike

Greg Moore wrote: So any reason they were "named" the way they were and what their functions may have been?

Thanks.
They were originally named A, B, C and D, but from what I recall the problem was that the names sounded too similar so they looked at the list of free telegraph codes and grabbed KN and JO. F was also in that original naming scheme. I am not sure where E was located.
  by nyrmetros

lirr42 wrote:I recently created several different diagrams of Penn Station depicting the various different infrastructure characteristics of the different station tracks. As you might know, not all station tracks are not alike and these various constraints contribute to the overall craziness of Penn Station.

The diagrams were too large to post here (and compressing them down to 800px would be difficult), so I posted them on my site: http://www.thelirrtoday.com/2014/01/dif ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know what you think.
Great webpage!!!
  by ApproachMedium

The Empire tunnels while trackwise can get to 1-4 tracks any train going from 2 main on the empire cant operate on those 4 tracks because of lack of 3rd rail, which you did highlight in your power diagrams.

Trains from WSY have direct access to the U ladder which can allow them to get as far down as 2 track but since there is no 3rd rail they can go as far as 5 track operationally.

Otherwise good work.