• njt septa joint ticket

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by fishball

I remember reading about a ticket option where one can go up to an NJ Transit ticket machine and buy an NEC ticket through to philadelphia, valid for the Septa connection at trenton. Does this still exist? I can't find anything about it on the website.
  by 25Hz

fishball wrote:I remember reading about a ticket option where one can go up to an NJ Transit ticket machine and buy an NEC ticket through to philadelphia, valid for the Septa connection at trenton. Does this still exist? I can't find anything about it on the website.
I bought one of these at 30th from 30th to nyp, but this was around 2004-2005. Have not had the chance to poke at a TVM much in philly since then.
  by Patrick Boylan

25hz, please save electrons and quote only when you need to.

I bought a couple of Trenton-Center City Philly tickets from a machine in Trenton sometime in summer 2011. Sorry, that's not technically a joint NJT-SEPTA ticket, but it WAS an NJT ticket good on SEPTA.
I used only 1 of them, the other's been sitting on my bedroom bureau. So much for avoiding the onboard surcharge to save money. Think of how much I'd have now if I had invested it instead.
  by loufah

The joint ticket is described at http://www.septa.org/fares/ticket/joint.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . These can be bought at 30th Street and at most (possibly all) TVMs in NJ. The TVMs and agents at Trenton not only sell these, but also sell tickets to go to SEPTA stations other than the Center City ones.
  by fishball

The septa site says "joint tickets can be purchased at over 80 NJ Transit Stations"

Does this mean that the joint tickets aren't valid from/to all NJT stations? Or does this just date from when not every station had a ticket machine? Still confused
  by Silverliner II

I've gotten tickets direct to Philly at NYP, and NWK as well. Have not had opportunity to try from other stations.
  by CNJGeep

You can get them at all stations. There are four options: Levittown, Intermediate (which would be Bristol-Bridesburg), Philadelphia (Center City), and "Tunnel" which is good for any other station on the regional rail system.
  by loufah

The SEPTA portion and the NJT portion of the joint ticket are completely separate tickets. The NJT portion ought to be valid between the NJ stations printed on it. As for availability: for awhile, the only TVMs that offered these joint tickets were those on the NEC line. I don't know when agents at stations on non-NEC lines began to sell them (Philip Martin would know about Morristown), I think within a year of the touchscreen TVMs being rolled out, Philadelphia began to appear as a destination on TVMs at M&E stations.
  by MACTRAXX

CNJGeep wrote:You can get them at all stations. There are four options: Levittown, Intermediate (which would be Bristol-Bridesburg), Philadelphia (Center City), and "Tunnel" which is good for any other station on the regional rail system.
CNJ: There are now -THREE- SEPTA ticket options sold by NJT since the 2013 fare increase:

1-Trenton Line Intermediate - ALL stations Levittown thru North Philadelphia for $3.50...

2-Center City Philadelphia One Way for $9.00 - this ticket reads "PHILA30" but is also valid to Suburban and Market East stations...

3-Anywhere via CCP "Tunnel" for $8.50 which is valid to any other station on any other SEPTA RRD line...This ticket offers some interesting options:
You can use the ticket from CCP to your destination at will-it is not day-punched like the SEPTA Anywhere OW tickets are...

All three of these tickets are valid anytime without restriction and are usually available from NJT bought in conjunction with NJT tickets but are
available at Trenton only as stand-alone SEPTA tickets...

MACTRAXX
  by Woodcrest295

Wait so does this mean you dont even have to purchase the more expensive Philly ticket to get to 30th street, just the through ticket?
  by MACTRAXX

Woodcrest295 wrote:Wait so does this mean you dont even have to purchase the more expensive Philly ticket to get to 30th street, just the through ticket?
W295: Yes-that is what it means...

Again I will add that since the NJT-sold SEPTA Anywhere "Tunnel" ticket is good anytime without restriction you can use it another day to travel to any other point out of CCP
on SEPTA's RRD except,obviously the Trenton Line if you choose - and save 50 cents on the CCP fare...

MACTRAXX
  by sammy2009

Yeah this still exists. I was studying in NY for my acting classes once a week and SEPTA/NJT Was the way i was using. I'd buy my tickets @30th. And it did have the other destinations on the NJTransit side also. I've gotten off @ Newark for quicker and alternate service into Manhattan. Since we are on the topic does anyone know of anyone buying monthly passes from Philly to New York via NJT ?. SEPTA listed it as a joint monthly pass. I'd love to see my transaction total for that to be @ $500+ dollars. lol
  by Steampowered

the ironic thing is you can buy Septa tickets at NJT TVMs. But there are no Septa tvms .
  by fishball

I did not succeed in purchasing this ticket from the ticket agent at chestnut hill. The agent only could do a ticket to trenton. I'm not sure if I didn't know the propert name of the ticket to ask for, or it was just too obscure.
  by CNJGeep

fishball wrote:I did not succeed in purchasing this ticket from the ticket agent at chestnut hill. The agent only could do a ticket to trenton. I'm not sure if I didn't know the propert name of the ticket to ask for, or it was just too obscure.
Not every SEPTA agent can sell them. AFAIK, only the windows in center city and the TVMs in 30th Street can do it.