• Garwood Industrial Track Equipment Storage

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by GP40MC 1116

Just curious, but I was looking on RailroadPhotoArchives.net and found some photos of this group of units from this November. One thing I am curious about. Has NJT been removing the horns, number boards etc, or have "other" people been removing them. This does not seem to be the case with every unit that I saw in the photos, but I am curious. As it seems odd that some units have horns, number boards but others do not.While everyone who is a railfan would certainly love a set of number boards and a horn, I don't think that theft and trespassing on railroad property is the way to do things.......
  by ACeInTheHole

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Just curious, but I was looking on RailroadPhotoArchives.net and found some photos of this group of units from this November. One thing I am curious about. Has NJT been removing the horns, number boards etc, or have "other" people been removing them. This does not seem to be the case with every unit that I saw in the photos, but I am curious. As it seems odd that some units have horns, number boards but others do not.While everyone who is a railfan would certainly love a set of number boards and a horn, I don't think that theft and trespassing on railroad property is the way to do things.......
4136 I believe it was even had its entire rear headlight missing when I was there.
  by GP40MC 1116

beanbag wrote:
GP40MC 1116 wrote:Just curious, but I was looking on RailroadPhotoArchives.net and found some photos of this group of units from this November. One thing I am curious about. Has NJT been removing the horns, number boards etc, or have "other" people been removing them. This does not seem to be the case with every unit that I saw in the photos, but I am curious. As it seems odd that some units have horns, number boards but others do not.While everyone who is a railfan would certainly love a set of number boards and a horn, I don't think that theft and trespassing on railroad property is the way to do things.......
4136 I believe it was even had its entire rear headlight missing when I was there.[/quote)

It doesn't surprise me in the least. However its obviously clear that you need to trespass to get on this location. I recall someone else posted about this earlier?

Not sure about NJ Transit, but here in Boston area, the MBTA has authorized and a good relationship with a local business to operate their MBTA Gifts store. http://www.mbtagifts.com/shop.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although some items are expensive, they have frequent sales and are good people to deal with. Neat to have your own station sign that was pulled from service, or subway rollsign, bus stop sign, maps etc. I wonder if NJ Transit/LIRR and others in that area have similar programs or could start something. I know NYC and SEPTA have websites where you can buy old signs etc.
  by airman00

That would be GREAT! But I don't think njt would ever do that.
  by ApproachMedium

These items have been stolen by locals who are more than obsessed with NJT stuff.
  by Limited-Clear

There are legal ways of getting horns, plenty of people restored and sell them, you can even get then direct from the manufacturer, do you have the $$$ to get one though, those things aren't exactly cheap
  by 25Hz

How do you steal a horn though, you'd think standing on top of a 14 foot tall locomotive would incite suspicion?
  by GP40MC 1116

ApproachMedium wrote:

These items have been stolen by locals who are more than obsessed with NJT stuff.
I wasn't about to accuse anyone, but judging by the photos I saw with specific stuff missing, number boards, horns, etc. It does not surprise me!
  by ApproachMedium

You do it under cover of darkness most likely. This stuff didnt just magically dissapear, and im sure is good reason why the police presence is frequent there now. And trust me nothing was removed from those engines legally. Same with the ALP44s in port morris. NJT has not officially retired any of this stuff yet. Its stored till its eventual re purpose or resale.
  by GP40MC 1116

[quote="rvlch"]The diesel collection on the Garwood industrial is now up to an even dozen for those interested in keeping track of the whereabouts of the fleet:

F40PH-2CAT:

GP40-FH:

GP40-PH-2:

GP40PH-2B:
4201[/quote

Is this a fairly accurate listing of the GP40-PH-2 and GP40PH-2B's that are on the Garwood Industrial Track
  by ApproachMedium

Whats the date of the original post? The 4141 is not in there, and that was there as of 2.5 weeks ago.
  by GP40MC 1116

ApproachMedium wrote:You do it under cover of darkness most likely. This stuff didnt just magically dissapear, and im sure is good reason why the police presence is frequent there now. And trust me nothing was removed from those engines legally. Same with the ALP44s in port morris. NJT has not officially retired any of this stuff yet. Its stored till its eventual re purpose or resale.
Very good point. I know alot of times when agencies are looking to retire or scrap coaches and locomotives, they will donate these pieces of equipment to tourist railroads, museums, the FRA Office of R&D for testing etc. In such cases, those agencies are hoping to get a complete car, or engine with the parts in tact. I know number boards can be re-made, but horns, doors etc are a little harder to replace.
  by cnj1524

noted from NJT site,,11/26/2013 AP003863-13 Sale of Retired Locomotives C&K Scrap Metal-Newark, NJ $264,600.00

02/05/14 02:00 Offers for Purchase: 18 1976-77 Arrow III Multiple Unit Rail Car Total 2,520,000 lbs...inquiries with regard to this Solicitation should be directed to Michael Clappsy 973-491-8149 or [email protected] SOP AP004251-13 One Penn Plaza East, Newark, NJ 07105 Michael Clappsy
  by cnj1524

There are arrows in port morris too,along with all the alp44's,Ive never seen so much out of service equipment before