• Railroad startups?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by SouthernRailway

Are there any sources of finding start-ups in the railroad field? I'd think that most of them would be locomotive, rolling stock, equipment and track-related manufacturers or service providers.

Thanks!
  by scharnhorst

could you be a little bit more specific to the question. Are you asking how people get started in the business??
  by SouthernRailway

Sorry, here's a rephrasing:

"In the railroad industry, surely there are companies that have been founded recently and are small and growing. (These companies are often referred to as "startups".) Is there a good way of finding them, such as through an industry association that they would belong to and that would have directories of them or something?"
  by scharnhorst

SouthernRailway wrote:Sorry, here's a rephrasing:

"In the railroad industry, surely there are companies that have been founded recently and are small and growing. (These companies are often referred to as "startups".) Is there a good way of finding them, such as through an industry association that they would belong to and that would have directories of them or something?"

There is a Railway Equipment Register available I think you can get a copy of that from the Federal Railroad Administration you may want to start there they maybe able to answer your question's a lot better than I can.
http://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by EDM5970

What does the Railway Equipment Register have to do with this? Very few startups, if any, have their own equipment aside from locomotives, which I don't believe are in the RER. The American Shortline and Regional Railroad Association may be a better place to start looking for this type of information.
  by v8interceptor

The original poster seems to be asking asking more about the equipment and materials manufacturing end of the railroad business than the operations side. I imagine the question is about locating new companies for investment purposes so I don't see how the O.R.E.R would be useful...