Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by CPF363

Of all of the Pennsylvania Railroad main lines, such as the main line across Pennsylvania, the Panhandle and Fort Wayne lines, did all of these lines have cab signals and line side block and interlocking signals? See this link of the NS OCS train "Covered Wagons Roll Through NE Ohio" via the following link:

https://akronrrclub.wordpress.com/tag/bennett-levin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are the style position light signals block signals that run with cab signal display also. The Boston line has cab signal operations with interlocking signals, however, there are no block signals. Did the old NYC and the B&O use the same kind of signals on their main lines.
  by charlie6017

I believe the former PRR-owned lined all had automatic block signals as well as interlocking
signals, unlike the Boston Line as you mention. I'm not certain whether or not the Panhandle
and Fort Wayne lines used the cab-signals like the Main across Pennsylvania did.

The B&O used position-light signals but they were slightly different than the Pennsy's. The
New York Central used search-light style signals like the photo I took a few years back, which
is below. Kind of a distant shot of those signals but hopefully you'll see the difference.

Charlie

by charlie6017

Also, here is a cool website that shows lots of info on railroad signals. The tri-light style
that New York Central used mostly west of Buffalo to Chicago is about half-way down the
page.

Hope the info helped,
Charlie

http://www.railroadsignals.us/basics/basics2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ExCon90

The PRR east of Pittsburgh had cab signals and wayside signals, except that on the Conemaugh intermediate wayside signals were omitted between interlockings; this was done at least as long ago as the 1950's. I don't know whether it was considered an experiment, but waysides were not eliminated anywhere else that I know of. West of Pittsburgh, there were cab signals (with waysides) from Pittsburgh to Indianapolis. I never knew why they did the Panhandle but not the Fort Wayne -- I would have thought the racetrack across Indiana would have been perfect for speeds 80 and over that would have been legal with cab signals. The word was that late westbounds did 90 anyway when necessary to make Chicago on time. One bit of trivia about signals on the Fort Wayne was that at Plymouth, Ind., the interlocking there and the one to the east had searchlights, installed as an experiment. They remained in service for a long time but remained the only example of searchlight signals on the PRR that I know of.
  by JimBoylan

The PRR installed Cab Signals on many of its lines about 20 years before the "80 m.p.h." rule. This was so they wouldn't have to meet a 1920s order to have Automatic Train Stop on at least 1 passenger division. At that time, it wasn't required for high speeds on the Fort Wayne line.