• Recieved my final offer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by boatswain

I have been waiting as patiently as I can for information from BNSF. That all paid off this morning as I received my final offer of employment and a start date of Jan. 6th 2014. I am so relieved and after several attempts over the last few years to gain employment with BNSF I am finally on board.
  by dannyh1977

Congratulations. I hope to be making one of these posts someday soon myself!!!
  by KV1guy

Congrats on your new career move! Just remember to go in with an open mind and a willingness to learn, keep your wit about you and you'll do just fine.
  by boatswain

KV1 Thank you. I cant wait for the learning to begin.
  by gp80mac

Good luck. Time will fly by - it seems like I only hired out yesterday.

Only bits of unsolicited advice I will offer are:

1. If your gut tells you something isn't right, then it probably isn't. Figure out what is wrong.
2. Don't rush. Mistakes happen when you are in a hurry.
3. It will take a year or two until you become more or less "comfortable" with the job. Everybody out here was new at one time and nobody was born a railroader.

That's all... it's a hell of a career. If I could go back in time, I don't know whether I'd choose it again, but there are worse ways to make a buck. Enjoy.
  by litz

I'd add, never lose respect for the equipment. It's all much bigger than you are.
  by Engineer Spike

All those others posted really appropriate pieces of advice. You need to make it past the derail (probationary period). Don't let anyone rush you! Be methodical and do things the same way. This is so you don't forget something important.

Remember that this is serious. You might notice that old F7 dead heading to some short line, but don't get wrapped up in it. That's when you could loose concentration and screw up. Keep your buffing and working separate.
  by boatswain

Thank you all for the advice. I definitely plan on being methodical. From what ive read that safety is the most important and from coming from a background of working with and around heavy equipment i plan on that being first and foremost.