• California Zephyr - Which way?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mandealco

Hi
This may have been asked before, but which direction is the best for viewing the scenery from the California Zephyr, East or West bound? Laura and I are planning our next Planes, Trains and Automobile vacation, and the CZ is on the itinerary. Next question: Which bedrooms are prefered? Looking at the floor plans, an "E" room looks good, depending on which is the front of the car.

Any tips or info would be appreciated.

Cheers
Steve
New Zealand
  by Gilbert B Norman

Westward on #5 Zephyr; no question whatever.

Regarding Bedrooms, if your preference for 'E' is that it is center car and appears to be forward riding, the latter is clearly a crapshoot. There is no assurance whatever that the car will be placed in the consist to satisfy that preference. While 'E' is center car and as such the best riding location, it is also at the car's 'Times Square' (Piccadilly Circus) in that the stairwell, coffee stand, and the upper level 'potty' are all opposite or adjacent to that Bedroom.

The day's of the Century, where all accommodations higher than a Roomette, were placed in consist to afford occupants a view of the Hudson in either direction are long gone.
  by electricron

I'll second that westward recommendation. You'll experience both the Sierras and Rockies during daylight on the westward trip.
  by ExCon90

I hope a third recommendation isn't piling on, but to me the decisive factor is that if the eastbound CZ is late you'll likely miss the descent of the Front Range into Denver in daylight. If the westbound is late you'll just see the Front Range a little later in the day, and the scenery you'll miss at the end of the day doesn't compare with it. Also, make sure you have breakfast and grab a seat in the lounge before arrival in Denver. (You're not supposed to hog it all day, but who's counting?)
  by GWoodle

Coming from New Zealand, you may find better flight times into LA or San Francisco, ride the train east, spend a few days in Chicago, then return to SF. Then you don't have to depend if the train is on time. No question the most scenic bit is between Salt Lake & Denver. you may also want to stop in either of the 2 cities enroute then reboard the next day's train.
  by mandealco

Thanks for the useful info. We are heading to the Northeast USA for a birthday of a couple of Alcos. We will have to fly one way but will take the train the other. We also plan to drive round the Great Lakes on our way to or from NJ. Our visit will be in September, so the daylight hours will be down a little. It's interesting that you say Westbound is superior. The areas travelled by 5 & 6 in the day time, seem very similar according to the timetable. I guess Westbound you're chasing the sun, whereas Eastbound you go the opposite way to the sun.

Any more travel tips gratefully received. We enjoyed our 4 days on the Canadian last year, just wish there were still real dome cars on the Zephyr. There's really nothing to compare to sitting in the domes.

Thanks
Steve
  by David Benton

Denver to Helper is one of the most scenic railroads in the world. The only drawback is it is a long day, and having a nite on the train either side can make for tired campers. I broke my Journey in Denver. I could also see Glenwood Springs and Grand junction as been options for a Break.
I thought the trip up the front range was enjoyable, but not as scenic as what comes after that. I would imagine an eastbound trip that ran a bit late would have the attraction of looking down onto the lights of Denver.
  by Backshophoss

Try to spend time in the Superliner Lounge car,it with the Diner will be placed midtrain,is the closest to a dome car for
viewing the scenery,Both the former Rio Grande and I-70 hug the sides of Glenwood Canyon.
Daylight will start between Provo Ut and Soldier Summit EB,you will lose daylight between Green River Ut and Helper Ut WB,
if running on or close to schedule.
Donner Pass will be in daylight in both directions Roseville Ca - Reno Nv.
  by Jersey_Mike

ExCon90 wrote:I hope a third recommendation isn't piling on, but to me the decisive factor is that if the eastbound CZ is late you'll likely miss the descent of the Front Range into Denver in daylight. If the westbound is late you'll just see the Front Range a little later in the day, and the scenery you'll miss at the end of the day doesn't compare with it. Also, make sure you have breakfast and grab a seat in the lounge before arrival in Denver. (You're not supposed to hog it all day, but who's counting?)
What train were you riding because it clearly wasn't the one I was on. I got both the Sierras and the Rockies in daylight even with the train running an hour late. The one caveat is that I litterally do my cross-country Amtrak trips on the longest days of the year in late June. Still, the timing for Train 6 in late June worked PERFECTLY. I had light almost to Elko and then again from Helper all the way to Denver.

Capitol Corridor Oakland to Sacramento
Donner Pass Sacramento to Reno
Nevada Desert Reno to Elko
Utah Desert Helper, UT to Grand Jct, CO
Colorado River Grand Jct to Winter Park
Moffatt Tunnel Winter Park to Denver
Iowa Creston, IA to Galesburg, IL
Illinois Racetrack Galesburg to Chicago
  by mandealco

Many thanks for all the tips, I'm sure we will have a great time when we put our plans together. Great photos Mike, thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Steve
  by ajp

thru the luck of business scheduling I'm taking the CZ westbound 12/10 DEN-SAC and snagged a superliner roomette. Should be fun

DEN temporary station seems a bit large for just 2 trains a day, comparing it to things I'm used to on the NEC.
  by ajp

blue skies thru the trip, beautiful scenery, a comfy room, food better than the snackbar, a great crew in all the segments and Mary, the sleeping car attendant

i'd do it again maybe eastbound this time to Chicago from SAC
  by John_Perkowski

I've done RTs on 5/6 as transportation.

In the winter, WB is the best view direction.

In the summer, it does not make a lot of difference, as you'll arrive (assuming the train is on time) in daylight in Denver in either direction.
  by mandealco

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Our plans have been sorted a little more. We will likely travel to the U.S. in mid to late August, and the Eastbound CZ works better for our itinerary, may also use the San Joaquin to get to Yosemite for a day trip.

Thanks
Steve
  by Tadman

I didn't catch what time of year your plans are, but if summer, cross Lake Michigan on the SS Badger. She's still steam powered (coal no less) and was once legally considered a railroad because it linked the C&O in Michigan and the MILW/CNW/SOO in Wisconsin by carrying freight cars across the lake.