Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jayrmli

For a brief recap of the Calverton Spur and why it was rebuilt...

When Grumman in Calverton closed, the Navy transferred ownership of the property to the Town of Riverhead, which over the years has been somewhat privately developed. The entire spur was rehabilitated, and currently serves a fence customer. It was also planned to have a biodiesel customer, but that company has filed for bankruptcy and I don't believe they have taken any cars.
  by LB

Thank's Jay, that clears things up nicely!
  by Dump The Air

the fence customer way at the end of the spur gets a good amount of cars, usually 4-5 inside the fence and a number of them off spot.
  by GreenportScoot

Who owns the ROW for the Calverton spur? Logic would say it's still the LIRR, but given all of the 'redevelopment' in recent years perhaps it changed hands to the town, county, or maybe NY&A?
Also, would it be the longest stretch of active track left that doesn't see passenger service? It seems longer than the GC Secondary, but that could just be because it has to wind its way through the woods.
  by jayrmli

Town of Riverhead owns the right of way.

Lots of longer active stretches of non-passenger track around. Bay Ridge Branch is 10 miles from Pond to 65th Street...Lower Montauk is also freight only now.
  by ErnieM

nyandw wrote:There are folks here that post quite a bit of information, photos and links to help others; many for years on end. At times much of this information is at Google/Bing/Yahoo/etc. with web searches in less than a minute. And on many other occasions the info requires time/work/dedication to provide the data/link/answer.

Not everyone has been here for years (military duty, marriage, relocation, etc.), in fact perhaps some are new/recent and many come and go. Frankly, I can't remember posts from years back and I have made a few.

Helping LB would benefit us all. I couldn't find the info easily posted years back, perhaps you might assist us. Thanks.
OK, fair enough. Challenge accepted, since it's Caturday and I have some time to hunt around.

I said "seriously" as I remembered a huge thread on every aspect of this rebuild, but didn't have time before bed that night to find it beyond a quick search. Today I had some time and found...

Before the work

Seems the thread I had in mind was over at the NY&A sub forum.:
HUGE thread on the rebuild

Pictures and more pictures.

Also, it seems I have the pictures on my other computer to verify this... went out that way last year or so to check the work. I remember the crossing over River Road NOT marked as the LIRR, but another road name. Google Street view confirms this, you can see the crossing control box marked as "Riverhead Railway."

by nyandw

ErnieM: Thank you all the research. I didn't think to look in other forums, duh! The NYA forum thread was really very good (15 pages, Folks, BTW) :-)
  by LB

Thanks Ernie.... I don't regularly visit the NYA forum; that expains how I missed reading about it.
  by mjd13076

Great pics! Thanks Steve and Dave!
  by ALcocentury

I agree,great pic's,I used to see it when I traveled in the area,its good to see it again,which reminds me of the old bridge in Yaphank sills road. when my friends and I waited for the train,and when cars went over it,hold on it, swayed so much you thought it was going to collapse,but as kids,heck we thought it was cool,never thinking of the outcome if it ever did. Kids.
  by ALcocentury

Thanks LB,thats the bridge I remember from my childhood days,whew,stop and think how long ago they where,ahh the memories. Thanks again for that great photo
REK