• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

Thanks for the information about the speed restrictions, Dick. What effect is this having on Downeaster on-time performance?
  by Dick H

I am strictly guessing that the long term restrictions are only adding 10 minutes or so to the schedule.
However, #685 made my guess incorrect, as it arrived on time this evening in Portland, although this
may be a "bookeeping error", as #685 did show as much as eight minutes late at earlier stations.

List of arrival times from Amtrak Status Page for August 21, 2013.

Boston arrival: 680/15 late, 682/12 late, 684/34 late, 686/1 hour, 22 late
Portland Arrival: 681/44 late, 683/48 late, 685/O.T, 687/1 hour, 7 minutes late (estimated)

I do not have any details on the very late trains. Could be extra time needed for PAR track crews,
delays on the MBTA and other issues.
  by doublestack

Here is today's 681 timeframe coming out of Boston. It's been running late all this week. Not happy first time shoppers bound for Freeport.

* Train 681 of 08/23/2013.
* Downeaster
* +---------------- Station code
* | +----------- Schedule Arrival Day
* | | +-------- Schedule Arrival time
* | | | +----- Schedule Departure Day
* | | | | +-- Schedule Departure Time
* | | | | | +------------- Actual Arrival Time
* | | | | | | +------- Actual Departure Time
* | | | | | | | +- Comments
* V V V V V V V V
* BON * * 1 905A * 908A Departed: 3 minutes late.
* WOB * * 1 923A * 927A Departed: 4 minutes late.
* HHL * * 1 952A * 1001A Departed: 9 minutes late.
* EXR * * 1 1012A * 1021A Departed: 9 minutes late.
* DHM * * 1 1025A * 1035A Departed: 10 minutes late.
* DOV * * 1 1032A * 1043A Departed: 11 minutes late.
* WEM * * 1 1050A * 1106A Departed: 16 minutes late.
* SAO * * 1 1106A * 1122A Departed: 16 minutes late.
* ORB * * 1 1113A * 1132A Departed: 19 minutes late.
POR * * 1 1140A
FRE * * 1 1210P
BRK 1 1225P * *
  by newpylong

Seems like the normal amount of restrictions to me, slightly above average, but not enough to add more than 5 minutes.

MP 218-219 60 mph / normal speed is 75.
MP 237-238 60 mph / normal speed is 75.
MP 239.26 Xing 30 mph / normal speed is 55
CPF 241 50 mph / normal is 70
MP 246-248 60 mph / normal is 70
MP 249-250 50 mph / normal is 70
MP 258-259 50 mph / normal is 70

There are a lot more on the T side.
  by gokeefe

From a trusted source:
PAR had a tamperand ballast regulator working between Exeter and Rollinsford this past week. There have been a number of slow orders through this area. They worked until 6PM on Thursday and Friday and until 1PM Saturday, and then continued west (not tamping) to Haverhill. Also, there was some trackwork being done between Dover and Rollinsford, apprarently using smaller truck mounted equipment. Seemed like they were pushing to get this work done before freezing weather. I wonder if there is a tie placement
job in the cards for 2014. No such work has been done between Plaistow and Portland since 2000-2001.
My reply to the source was that it was my impression that PAR operates this section on a "state of good repair" basis.
  by CN9634

This stretch has always been maintained by PAR/GRS and is in great shape. They may need to work on a few ties here and there but for the most part it should be pretty solid. Also, they won't go past State line with T territory down there.
  by gokeefe

Has any thought been given to the idea that PAR may want double track between South Portland and Royal Junction?

I know of course that they wouldn't want to do this on their own but I'm wondering if they are beginning to see this area as a serious bottleneck.
  by MEC343

Even double tracking from CPF 195 to CPF 192 would make a difference.
  by markhb

CPF 192 to CPF 194 (the stretch between Riverside St. and Allen Ave.) already is double-tracked, although I believe only Track 1 was upgraded to CWR for the Downeaster extension. CPF 195 is just TT East of Congress St., so double-tracking to there would mean restoring the second track the whole way through the city. I'm just trying to get a handle on what you were suggesting.
  by MEC343

Yeah I meant double tracking from CPF 195 to CPF 194.
  by gokeefe

I think there are two primary variables for PAR that could necessitated the installation of more track through the center of Portland. First if freight activity at the International Marine Terminal really picks up the I think that's one challenge and second if oil train traffic picks up again that's another. If both events happen simultaneously I could see the necessity of a requirement for PAR to install a siding or running track between Congress Street and Brighton Ave. They have plenty of space there and it would probably help them better handle freight movements through Portland.
  by BM6569

They have been working on restoring a siding in Portland, and buses were substituted for Brunswick service during some of the work on the 18th. I think it's between Walton St and Allen Ave.

Wayne Davis sent me this when I asked about their post on the TRNE FB page. "Replacing interlocking and siding at the "Canco" crossing just off Forest Ave."
  by gokeefe

BM6569 wrote:They have been working on restoring a siding in Portland, and buses were substituted for Brunswick service during some of the work on the 18th. I think it's between Walton St and Allen Ave.

Wayne Davis sent me this when I asked about their post on the TRNE FB page. "Replacing interlocking and siding at the "Canco" crossing just off Forest Ave."
Indeed they are and here is the evidence. "Replacing" in this case apparently means "placing anew" as opposed to "substitution for another". Very good news indeed. I know there is a double tracking project that is supposed to be underway in Yarmouth as well but I haven't seen much about that.
  by CPF363

MEC343 wrote:Yeah I meant double tracking from CPF 195 to CPF 194.
At one time, double track ran from CPF 192 to CPF 199. It was converted to single track to to the abundance of crossings between MP 194 AND MP 196.
  by gokeefe

Some of the CWR for the Yarmouth project appears to be visible in Google Streetview. Older rail from the previous replacement project clearly appears in the background. I initially wondered if the strings of rail that were visible were the remanants of the old line but that does not appear to be the case.

What appears to be new CWR is visible on Google Earth from the Greely Road crossing to somewhere just before the Field Road. It can be clearly seen for quite some distance when facing south (TT WEST) at the Woodville Road.