• Law and Order episode "Locomotion" (2005)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Martin Baumann

I saw this episode for the first time today. It is based on the California Metrolink wreck where an SUV derailed a train. In the episode the train was "going to Grand Central" but was an LIRR M1 set. I think the wrecked lead car was 8203. When and where was this filmed?
  by Head-end View

I've seen that episode many times. I believe it was filmed in a yard in the Bronx, but if I'm mistaken, anyone please correct me. BTW, if the car number was 8203, it was not a LIRR M-1 as theirs were numbered 9001-9770. It was probably a Metro-North M-1. They got their fleet shortly after LIRR in the early 1970's and as you saw, were numbered in the 8000's.
  by DutchRailnut

it was filmed on MN and the car with messed up front was sitting in Tarrytown car loading yard for few years.
  by pbass

One pair of cars in the film was the 8376-7[those were the last pair of 948 built M1's],I don't remember what the other pair was,but they were the lead cars that hit a stuck tractor trailer on the Green Lane crossing prior to the filming.The episode was filmed at the Highbridge yard in the Bronx.It was logical to use previously wreck damaged cars to show the end results of a collision.