• Poughkeepsie Panorama 1908

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NKP1155

On Shorpy.com 11/21/2013 is posted a picture of the West bank of the Hudson at Poughkeepsie. In the background the railroad bridge is getting some major attention. Can any of you advise what the program was?
  by mvb119

Not really related to the NYC since it was owned by the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad, but I believe they were strengthening the bridge by adding a third line of steel trusses to the bridge down the middle to accommodate the heavier trains, though I could be wrong.
  by chnhrr

I think you're right. I did remember reading that the bridge had to be altered to accommodate the new heavier loads. A construction activity that was not uncommon for the times. Was there an initial agreement between the New Haven and the New York Central Lines that allowed for the bridge's construction over the NYC?