• Way to tag along with a track inspection crew?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by SouthernRailway

Is there any way of tagging along with a crew that inspects railroad tracks (for defects)? If I call Metro-North, NJ Transit, the LIRR, Norfolk Southern or CSX, or a Northeastern shortline, will they let me just go along with a crew that inspects tracks, such as by driving along the tracks in a pickup? Even for an hour or two?

I am now working on a project that involves track inspection. I'm not looking for any secrets from railroads or any benefit from them; I'm just curious how track inspection works.

Any tips/leads would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  by MEC407

You might have some luck if you approach a small shortline, or perhaps even better luck with a museum/tourist line. They tend to be a bit more open, and a bit more laid-back, than the big guys.
  by Gadfly

MEC407 wrote:You might have some luck if you approach a small shortline, or perhaps even better luck with a museum/tourist line. They tend to be a bit more open, and a bit more laid-back, than the big guys.
\
\

What's to stop you from "following" them NOW? I mean, if you stay out of the way, don't get on the RoW, people "watch" what the track crews are doing all the time.
  by scharnhorst

Sperry guys are not to friendly when it comes down to filming things or showing how the equipment works it's kind of a trade secret but a few of us here have worked for them and can explain how the system works. If you want to know.