• New Jersey Seashore Lines: was CNJ being cleard Woodmansie>N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by rrbluesman

I still don't understand why they are spending the money on the crossings and as of yet no other major track work has been done that I am aware of. I live several states away now so I'm not first hand either. I really hope to see trains of any kind running further south on the line soon.
  by bmwr12

rrbluesman wrote:I still don't understand why they are spending the money on the crossings and as of yet no other major track work has been done that I am aware of. I live several states away now so I'm not first hand either. I really hope to see trains of any kind running further south on the line soon.

This project has been going on for years. It started first with tree and brush removal. The line operator applied for a state grant a few years ago but no award was given. The crossing that were paved over were redone in the meantime over the past 2 years. The crossing work is paid for by NJDOT. The line operator was awarded a grant by the state a few weeks back to rehab the line according to the previously submitted application.They also awarded Conrail a grant to repair the 3 bridges from the current end of line to Lakehurst. I would assume no one has got any money from the state yet so no track work will be done until then.I would assume that Conrail would need to reconnect the line from Lakewood to Lakehurst first so that the line can be cleared so MOW equipment can be used to do the tie replacement and bridge repairs.
  by Ken W2KB

bmwr12 wrote:
rrbluesman wrote: I would assume no one has got any money from the state yet so no track work will be done until then.I would assume that Conrail would need to reconnect the line from Lakewood to Lakehurst first so that the line can be cleared so MOW equipment can be used to do the tie replacement and bridge repairs.
It is my understanding that these rail freight assistance grants are, as with other similar governmental grants, on a reimbursement basis. That is, the payment of funds from the grant is contingent on the submission of a request for reimbursement together with adequate evidence that the work for which reimbursement under the grant is sought has been completed. It may be that the payments can be parsed as segments pertinent to a specific grant are completed.
  by napp1111

It's my opinion that getting the crossings and bridges repaired first would make it a lot easier and faster to come in and fix the railbed and lay new ties and track.
  by Tanker1497

Was able to stop and shoot a couple of pictures at Rt. 539 looking west. Got some funny looks but the workers didn't say anything.
Last edited by Tanker1497 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Tanker1497

East of Union Ave. Lakehurst NJ. The stop sign is missing but the 20 feet of track still removed. Signal bridge needs painting LOL!
  by Splatz

Tanker1497 thanks! In addition I am remiss in not thanking our moderator by renewing access to the thread. The fact that is was locked down at the moment things were heating up was certainly frustrating. The suggestion that was made that it receive a new title is a good one.

I would naturally submit if asked something that speaks to the three issues in play. Those are its former CNJ mainline status, its current operatorJersey Shore RR . Its connector Shared Assets, and the owner of the 13 miles to be rehabbed Clayton Materials. I will throw in "Former CNJ South of Lakehurst Service Restoration" Woodmansie like nearby Birmingham are artifacts of history found only on the respective RR timetables of the time, but our project is now going to be firmly part of the 21st century.

Of course, that said I appeciate the observation of putting the tracks and switches back that were removed will proceed hopefully at a clip that is a tad quicker than the snails pace that it has since we first observed ROW brush clearing. The very presence of an active railroad this far down the line now can give new life to all sorts of speculation for both what happens north of it, what happens south, and how neat a reconstucted Whiting passenger station/ice cream shop would fit in with the DOT's transit village strategy. Sorry, getting ahead of myself again.
  by EDM5970

Who is the Jersey Shore Railroad? I thought I had a pretty good handle on all the current players, but this is a new one to me-
  by glennk419

EDM5970 wrote:Who is the Jersey Shore Railroad? I thought I had a pretty good handle on all the current players, but this is a new one to me-
I believe it's actually NJSL - New Jersey Seashore Lines. They are the designated operator once the line starts back up.
  by GSC

With highway signals back in place, would these crossings no longer be "exempt"? (As in, school buses needing to stop at them?)

Until the crossings were paved over on the OOS section of the Freehold & Jamesburg, some drivers were ticketed for not stopping at crossings. If they aren't declared "exempt", you have to stop.

As I drive a 16-passenger yellow bus during the day, it's nice to know these things.
  by bmwr12

I don't think I ever saw any exempt signs at any of those crossings. The only posted exempt crossing I have seen on that area of the Southern Secondary is the Rt 37 crossing on the Toms River Industrial track towards the Ciba plant. It also recently had the trees and overgrowth cleared on the Walmart side of the tracks for some reason.
  by NJ Operation Lifesaver

GSC wrote:If they aren't declared "exempt", you have to stop.
I couldn't have said it better myself, and I say it a lot.

None of the crossings being rebuilt for Seashore Lines were actually 'exempt' under the law. Once the signs and signals were removed the safety stop was no longer required. If the signs have been removed a "Tracks Out of Service" sign should be posted (but often isn't) until the rails are removed or paved over.

Under New Jersey law only signaled crossings can be exempted and then only after the Commissioner of Transportation rules that there is higher probability of a collision resulting from the safety stop than from the regulated vehicle colliding with a train. This is why you see them almost exclusively where heavily traveled roads cross lightly used or out of service railroad lines. The Rt 37 crossing mentioned above is a prime example of this. Even if the line were still in service with one or two turns into Ciba-Geigy, the likelihood of a truck or bus being rear ended by someone who did not pay attention to the advance warning sign seems far higher than that truck or bus being hit by or hitting a train which only entered the roadway after the lights were activated. The other end of the spectrum are crossings such as those on the North Coast with a high frequency of trains at a much higher speed and therefore the increased likelihood of a train related collision.

From a bus driver's perspective it doesn't matter whether the line is out of service, the rails are connected, how often you think trains are run, or the grass is 4 feet high. What matters is that there is a crossing with a sign and/or warning lights. You may know from reading this forum that the rail ends are hanging in the air at Rt 539 and that the connection hasn't been restored at Lakehurst. It doesn't matter. You are still making the stop, and are going to make the stop until either the crossing is declared exempt or the signs are taken down and crossing paved over.

Before anybody asks - The crossing on Rt 530 in downtown Whiting requires the safety stop despite the traffic light. The governing sign is the crossbuck and NJ law does not allow the exception.

The exemption process takes a while and involves a public hearing. There is a hearing being planned for Rt 539 and my understanding is that Rt 530 will be included. Until the signs go up make the stop. My personal view is that 530 is a prime candidate for exemption because of the traffic lights and the potential for confusion with vehicles seeming to stop for a green light. 539 is also a good candidate because of the highway curves. When the hearing is scheduled I will post it here.

GSC - When I do school bus and commercial driver presentations I've found that the feed back from the drivers is a valuable source of information on crossings which need work or revision. If there are any specific comments you have as a bus driver, or for that matter any one else here might have, about sight lines, visibility, bad surfaces, inadequate containment on the far side, and so forth I would appreciate hearing about them. You can either PM me here or thru the New Jersey Operation Lifesaver Facebook page.
  by NJ Operation Lifesaver

YES