• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by pumpers

Did that new customer for bricks with the new (upgraded?) siding ever start getting cars? JS
  by RailsEast

JS, the new customer is Brick Recycling (scrap metal), and no, no inbound empty gondolas as of yet. Trust me, you will hear about it when it happens.

NJTArrow2, work skunked me today, but you should have some pics; we're waiting..... :-)

Chris
  by mdamico23

Does anyone know if yesterday's run down the Southern Secondary had the two Gensets that are going to be stationed at Earle? They were supposedly in Oak Island earlier in the week being prepped to head down to Earle. I thought I heard somewhere that NJT has a restriction on Gensets operating over their trackage, but not sure if that would apply to dead-in-tow locomotives operating over the NJCL.

-mike
  by southern sec. kid

Saw the train yesterday. Haven't seen the SPLAT car come down the Southern in a while. Two boxcars were put on Extechs siding yesterday after they pulled out the empties. Yesterdays move did not have the gensets for Earle. However, Earles siding off of the main has been redone along with alot of track by MP 48. Nice to see a somewhat larger train come down the line every once in awhile.
Felt like I should throw this in here too, almost everyday driving home from school for the last month or so ive noticed conrail work trucks sitting next to the Row in Farmingdale. Not sure what for, mabye one of you guys would know
  by napp1111

One of earls engines were already delivered at the beginning of the week. Brought it in by ship to the pier and then brought it down their trackage to the base.
  by napp1111

Anyone know why they brought a splat down?
  by pumpers

RailsEast wrote:JS, the new customer is Brick Recycling (scrap metal), and no, no inbound empty gondolas as of yet. Trust me, you will hear about it when it happens.
Chris
Sheesh, that's pretty bad ... confusing a company name with the town of Brick in it for a company which deals in bricks. In my late middle age (ahem) I don't hear very well so usually I can blame those kind of mixups in my understanding on my hearing, but in this case it is kind of hard to use that excuse given all I know about the issue I just read on this thread. JS
  by RailsEast

No worries, JS, being 'late middle aged' myself, I can attest to the fact that stuff happens; however, this is the Southern Secondary thread, and SS fans are held to a higher standard than most. We'll let this one slide, but next time, drop & give me 20.... :-)

I would assume the splat was involved because of the train size & limited capacity of the runaround track at Cross St; splats are generally used in an extended shove move, maybe a shove southward from the Dinaso (Rt.88) runaround?? Don't know for sure, just speculation on my part.

If a water delivery happened, then the two locos probably did not come from the same rebuilder. The unit in Oak Island (USN 65-00647) came from NREX in Illinois; perhaps a relocation of an existing USN unit from another coastal base for the second unit? Again, don't know for sure; a pier delivery does sound strange, but certainly within the capabilities of the fine men & women of the US Navy.

Chris
  by bmwr12

GSC wrote:Can't wait to see some pics of 11-12 cars on the Southern.

If the larger trains keep coming, they better get moving on the rehab to Lakehurst.
  by ChrisU

napp1111 wrote:One of earls engines were already delivered at the beginning of the week. Brought it in by ship to the pier and then brought it down their trackage to the base.
Not trying to be mean or anything but I can assure you that what you saw was just a regular train and not one of the new engines. The first new engine is in Oak Island.
  by GSC

Great pics. Now that looks like what I remember the Southern to be.

NJTArrow2 wrote:Red Bank
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7795_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maxwell Rd
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0166_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hamilton Rd
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5156_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by gravelyfan

Coming out at South Amboy at 3:50 with:
NS 5283
CSXT 2814
11 cars
  by Tanker1497

Speaking strictly from a SA31 Southern routing train out of Browns yard. What would be the reason for having two engines? 11 car or 14 cars doesn't seem to be a big train out side the southern! Now I understand tonnage requirements and traction motors overheating from large amp draws from high power slow speeds. I think the fact that being on the coast line has the most important reason....why maintaining speed. I am thinking that with a train length of over ?? cars has some affect.....why maybe there isn't a place to hold a train too long for a siding or run around between Browns and Redbank ? Or maybe there is a place to hold but maybe do to tonnage SA31 couldn't get started up a grade with one engine? In talking with a NJT dispatcher he lead me to believe that SA31 must be able to maintain 30 mph when on the Coast line. I am thinking all these have some part in the two engine verses one.
So I guess I am asking which of these seems to be the key factor?
Thanks