Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Mr rt

Wed. 9/18 caught a bunch of MOW vehicles crossing Washington Street going East.
Looked like a gang that was going to start some serious track work.
  by SwingMan

Do you mean the Garden Mitchell Secondary? It's doesn't really count as the Central Branch anymore..
  by Backshophoss

Believe he means the branch from Beth to Babylon. In the ETT's thats refered to as the central branch.
  by Crabman1130

Backshophoss wrote:Believe he means the branch from Beth to Babylon. In the ETT's thats refered to as the central branch.
There is no Washington Ave or St on the Central, so I'm going with the GMS.
  by peanut1

That line is right near my house, as of today they were still up their working on it. Anybody know whats happening?
  by LINYARailfan

GMS is right across the street from my house too. Track work is being done on the Hempstead Branch which involves replacing ties between Floral Park and Garden City. I spoke to the track crews and they said it is almost done and should be completed within week or two. They are just using the Garden Mitchell Secondary to store the track cars during this time. Hope this helps.
  by lirr42

LINYARailfan wrote:GMS is right across the street from my house too. Track work is being done on the Hempstead Branch which involves replacing ties between Floral Park and Garden City. I spoke to the track crews and they said it is almost done and should be completed within week or two. They are just using the Garden Mitchell Secondary to store the track cars during this time. Hope this helps.
Weekday midday service along the branch has been shifted to allow for this project (single tracking QUEENS-GARDEN). The adjustments last until the November timetable change.
  by Mr rt

Still lots of ties & trap rock piled at Washington Street ... along with MOW equipment on the barnch.
Getting ready for Circus train in the Spring ?
  by M1 9147

Track work is desperately needed on the GCS! One thing is crossing signals without gates should be placed also with that trackage seeing more moves these days!
  by SwingMan

They've only finished one track of the Hempstead branch track work, that's what the new stuff is for.
  by LINYARailfan

Anybody know any more information about this: Buses replacing trains at Hempstead and Country Life Press for twelve hours on Saturday March 29th due to track work.
  by lirr42

Prep work for concrete tie installation between Garden City and Hempstead. The full work will take the weekend of 4/4-4/7 when the entire bus will be branched for the work (in addition to QUEENS switch resurfacing, which is going on concurrently).