• Amtrak cab signalling

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AEM7AC920

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Tadman wrote:Who would be qualified from a Class I to run passenger, perhaps the guys that run the OCS when the bosses are out on the road?
it is not uncommon for employees to be qualified on equipment that operates over their territory. It helps in case of emergencies.
I actually think that is a good practice, it's probably rare in some places that you are running another railroads engine however I have been put in the position at least a few times to run a P42 that ended up leading a non revenue equipment move....
  by AgentSkelly

There's a few Amtrak engineers I know here in the NW qualified to operate both UP and BNSF engines; when I took my usual trip every summer on the Cascades to Vancouver, BC, we had a UP engine take us all the way into Pacific Central Station. The engineer's comment was that it was smoother ride than the F59!
  by KV1guy

AgentSkelly wrote:There's a few Amtrak engineers I know here in the NW qualified to operate both UP and BNSF engines; when I took my usual trip every summer on the Cascades to Vancouver, BC, we had a UP engine take us all the way into Pacific Central Station. The engineer's comment was that it was smoother ride than the F59!
Amtrak engineers dont have to have a qualification to run freight locos, most operate the same as any other diesel and share similar components.
  by AgentSkelly

KV1guy wrote:
AgentSkelly wrote:There's a few Amtrak engineers I know here in the NW qualified to operate both UP and BNSF engines; when I took my usual trip every summer on the Cascades to Vancouver, BC, we had a UP engine take us all the way into Pacific Central Station. The engineer's comment was that it was smoother ride than the F59!
Amtrak engineers dont have to have a qualification to run freight locos, most operate the same as any other diesel and share similar components.
Interesting...I was told some roads require some sort of qualification for cross-equipment; maybe in this case, there is such a qualification/certification/seal of approval required for a UP engine pulling a Amtrak train on BNSF track?
  by KV1guy

AgentSkelly wrote:
KV1guy wrote:
Interesting...I was told some roads require some sort of qualification for cross-equipment; maybe in this case, there is such a qualification/certification/seal of approval required for a UP engine pulling a Amtrak train on BNSF track?

I cant see why. A passenger unit is more complicated that a plain old freight motor. Only thing we'd have to take into consideration is the units MAS, air brake setup, AC or DC.... Basic stuff.
  by AEM7AC920

Ditto, when we had times around here with foreign power showing up the RFE would say an engine is an engine and I would always think to myself that's true until you need to troubleshoot something!