• What to do with the North Station El when it's torn down

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

Where should they put the Old North Station El when it's finally torn down

On the big curve at Packard's Corner on the "B" Line
63%
On the big curve at Boylston (I can't figure out the logistics of putting an elevated structure in a tunnel)
No votes
0%
The big curve on Chestnut Hill Ave on the "B" Line (even though it curves the wrong way)
No votes
0%
In a garbage dump
38%
  by dr_wu002

Hi everyone. They're tearing down the North Station El soon (I got to drive through it yesterday an then see bits of it and the Lechmere Viaduct from the commuter rail) and I figured I'd start a poll (if this works) for us to decide what to do with North Station when it's torn down. I think it could be put somewhere on the system.

You all have 10 days to decide and them I'm going to mail my solution to MBTA officials.

PS to CS, I realize some of the options are unrealistic, but I figured a fun poll could be fun in light of the recent squabbling over inbound/outbound designations.

by ST214

DONATE IT TO SEASHORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Charliemta

I think they should reassemble the North Station Green Line el and station onto the Rose Kennedy Greenway, which will be the new park atop the Big Dig near the waterfront.

The reaasembled Green Line el structure and station could be made into a viewing platform for the harbor, and contain a small museum about the old MTA and Boston elevated Railway.

by efin98

I would love to see it as the centerpiece of an MBTA museum in conjunction with Seashore, but Seashore would probably be the best place for it.
Can Seashore even handle the structure? We are talking about a huge piece of property, it would make a fine el/trolley station if they could upgrade it up there. But if they can't handle it then it might be best to just relegate it to our memories and have it go to the great station in the sky(ie. meet the torch).

by apodino

As best as I understand the seashore property covers a lot more land than is actually used at present time. Seashore would like to extend the trolley rides I think, but of course that takes some money. But I could see the station at Seashore, after all the tower from the old Northampton Station is already up there.

by efin98

hmm, then I think they should have it.
How about a line from Northampton to North Station, with a ride by the old Tower C? maybe if they could get one or more of their rapid transit cars working they could build it like that.
I am pessimistic though, I think the station is destined for a scrap heap.

by Robert Paniagua

Maybe they'll have to remodify it and put an above ground portion of those trolley tracks and run trains at Seashore aboveground. That would be something.

by Ken W2KB

Ship it to Japan as scrap so it can be made into armaments used against Pearl Harbor. Oh wait, that was a New York El, Third Ave.? <g>

Seriously, the Seashore would be great, but the expense would be as well. I like the idea of having it in a park near the Boston waterfront as historical remnant that should be saved for future generations to compare with photos.

by ceo

Are you guys serious? Have you seen how they're tearing down the Central Artery? First they rip up the pavement with a big claw, then guys with cutting torches cut the steel up into small pieces that are lowered by crane. I don't think Seashore will be all that interested in a donation of fifty truckloads of scrap metal.

by jrc520

Oy. If it's donated, they won't break it up like that. Duh. It will be done in a much better way

by ceo

How? It's not an Erector set that you can take apart and put back together again. It's welded and riveted together (and probably rusted together too, at this point), and I doubt it's possible to dismantle it without destroying it. Even if it is, I'd rather the T spend its money on more useful things.

I also doubt you'd get much support for putting it on the Rose Kennedy Greenway, considering that they just spent over fourteen billion dollars getting rid of a big ugly elevated structure there.

by mxdata

Oh wow, a way to restore rail traffic to downtown New Bedford without having to dig all the PCB's out of the railroad yard! All they need is a way to move it to the south coast! :D
  by AmeriKenArtist

Send it to Baltimore for recycling. That's where most of the elevated artery is going. Btw, if the curve is going the wrong way in another location, simply turn the elevated a quarter turn until it goes in that required direction. :wink:

by mxdata

I guess that rules out using it in New Bedford. It would result in the trains going over the polluted old railroad yard and dropping off the end, into the polluted harbor. :(