• Mainline near Meadowbrook Pkwy 5/15/13

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by SlackControl

Yesterday, 5/15 I was riding along the mainline and noticed that the old track bed of the spur just south west of the Meadowbrook Pkwy was recently plowed. Are there plans to lay track and make some sort of freight transfer there? I wonder what possibilities there are for Roosevelt Field to receive their goods for their various stores by train. This spur could easily bring cars almost right across Old Country Rd from the mall.
  by Sir Ray

SlackControl wrote:Yesterday, 5/15 I was riding along the mainline and noticed that the old track bed of the spur just south west of the Meadowbrook Pkwy was recently plowed. Are there plans to lay track and make some sort of freight transfer there? I wonder what possibilities there are for Roosevelt Field to receive their goods for their various stores by train. This spur could easily bring cars almost right across Old Country Rd from the mall.
I really doubt this - the majority of goods sold in Roosevelt Field (and the various other retail outlets around the Old Country Rd/Glen Cove Road area) come from overseas, most likely in shipping containers to a warehouse distribution center, and are then shipped by truck to the various stores.
Maybe BRT could build even more warehouse space and have an intermodal rail distribution site, but it wouldn't be at Glen Cove Road.
Would it make sense to use the former spur as a MTA truck access road for the mainline?
  by fallenflag

sorry for super old bump, but what trackbed/spur are you talking about exactly?
  by Sir Ray

fallenflag wrote:sorry for super old bump, but what trackbed/spur are you talking about exactly?
I figured SlackControl was talking about this spur, behind the old Macy's outlet.
Been basically all retail there for, I guess 20 years now, but there have been threads on this forum on how the area of Voice Road and Glen Cove Road was a pretty busy industrial cluster that supported significant rail traffic at one time.
  by jayrmli

That siding was the old siding for Mason Mints.

When it comes to rail freight, you have to think a little bigger than delivering to stores inside of a shopping mall. Freight cars would drop off material like this at a warehouse, not a retail location which would sell directly to the public.