• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by RailsEast

Train is still shut down behind Woodhaven, CSX 4441 now leading. The crew will have several more loads to spot after pulling the empties.
  by CNJSouDivFan

Ehm, uh, video? :-D :wink: No biggie if not. I am just an out of towner jerk, I know...
  by RailsEast

Sorry, Sean, I'm a still photo guy; you might check YouTube & search 'Southern Secondary'. There may be a video out there, but the videographer may not be a member here....
And you're not being a jerk, you're just a bit homesick for the Southern; hope all is well out there.
Chris
  by RailsEast

I've only shot from here a handful of times, but I don't remember a Woodhaven inventory as large as I witnessed today. Price increase coming? Rate increase? Huge local project?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3644470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by OCtrainguy

Interesting that they brought all those cars down for Woodhaven to drop off and then wait for the first cut to be loaded before delivering the second cut.
  by ChrisU

The train ran back up last night.
  by RailsEast

Here ya go, CNJSouDivFan.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3QPmgdwne0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZnu1BGZlDk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess they dropped a car at Extech (or Earle), as the first video in Farmingdale does indeed show 16 cars.

Chris
  by CNJSouDivFan

Money! Thanks Chris!
  by luminous53

yeah the 4th car (Railbox) is not in Farmingdale. I bet is placed at Earl. Off topic but when I was a kid I remember seeing a train in South Amboy one night with about 42 Railbox cars. It was the early nineties back when they served Anchor Glass and Pride Made on the coast line. I don't know who else could handle 42 Railbox cars. A shop teacher who's cousin apparently was the conductor on that train confirmed it was for Earl. The teacher told me for some reason the government uses's Railbox cars often. I don't know if it's true but that's what I heard.

So anyone know of the "surprise" was that it? Next week?
  by mdamico23

[quote="luminous53"]yeah the 4th car (Railbox) . The teacher told me for some reason the government uses's Railbox cars often. I don't know if it's true but that's what I heard.

Back in the mid-80s when I was growing up in Hazlet, NJ, I used to see a lot of Railboxes that were placarded "Explosives A" and "Explosives B." For some reason, there also used to be alot of Milwaukee Road boxes at the time that were similarly placarded all heading down to Earle. The only reason why I could think there would be more MILW boxes than usual was that the Milwaukee Road served the similarly themed Crane Naval Weapons station near Bedford, IN. Perhaps the two bases would ship ordinance back and forth.

More on topic- interesting to note the video shot at the Hazlet station. Two of the boxcars in the consist have "KXHR" reporting marks. The Knoxville & Holston River RR is a shortline in Tennessee owned by Gulf & Ohio Railways. At least one of them logged in the Coast Line freight is a former Laurinburg & Southern RR car (you can see the faint LRS lettering through the rust towards the top).

-Mike
  by southern sec. kid

Some type of Conrail MOW vehicle parked up in farmingdale. I cant describe it other than its real big and it has some type of scooper on the front
  by bmwr12

southern sec. kid wrote:Some type of Conrail MOW vehicle parked up in farmingdale. I cant describe it other than its real big and it has some type of scooper on the front

It was probably finishing up the recycling plant work?
  by ChrisU

luminous53 wrote:yeah the 4th car (Railbox) is not in Farmingdale. I bet is placed at Earl. Off topic but when I was a kid I remember seeing a train in South Amboy one night with about 42 Railbox cars. It was the early nineties back when they served Anchor Glass and Pride Made on the coast line. I don't know who else could handle 42 Railbox cars. A shop teacher who's cousin apparently was the conductor on that train confirmed it was for Earl. The teacher told me for some reason the government uses's Railbox cars often. I don't know if it's true but that's what I heard.

So anyone know of the "surprise" was that it? Next week?
The railbox car went to Extech off Megill rd. A friend of mine told me he saw it.