• P32BW #506 - Lazy Laura

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by 25Hz

LIRR272 wrote:There is a Dash 8 at each of the Auto Train facilities used for switching purposes. I guess you can consider Sanford down yonder.
Yea, i know they are at least sometimes used to cut the auto racks onto the ramp tracks in that instance. I think there was a geep of some sort that worked one of the terminals as well, read somewhere about that whole situation few years ago, don't remember the details. :\
  by Tadman

Have these units been downrated or de-turbo'ed? (Is de-turbo even possible with GE? Never heard of it). It seems 3200hp is a bit much for yard work where SW's and MP's once worked with 600-1500 hp.
  by MEC407

Tadman wrote:Have these units been downrated or de-turbo'ed? (Is de-turbo even possible with GE? Never heard of it).
"No" to both questions.

(There are other ways to downrate the horsepower of a GE FDL engine, but de-turboing isn't one of 'em.)
  by 25Hz

Tadman wrote:Have these units been downrated or de-turbo'ed? (Is de-turbo even possible with GE? Never heard of it). It seems 3200hp is a bit much for yard work where SW's and MP's once worked with 600-1500 hp.
I have often thought the same. Wondering why a GP15 isn't doing that job instead, allowing the pepsi cans to be used on revenue trains vs sit in a yard all day. Heck, they could even get a pair of GP15 or SW1500/1200 on lease or buy from CSX/NS if the $ were available.
  by EricL

The reason why B-32's are commonly relegated to yard service these days is simple. While they were originally delivered as road power, they were never really meant to be much more than a stopgap measure, until more modern units (the P40s and P42s) could be acquired. (It helped, at the time, that Amtrak got a sweetheart financing deal with GE for the B32s.) As the old, inherited yard power began to approach or exceed its useful life, B32's were an easy substitute, since they were available, on account of having an adequate supply of modern road power on hand by that point.

Trust me, no yard crew PREFERS a B32 over a purpose-built switcher. But all too often, that's all that's available.

I sort of wish the modern-ish MP15's were available system-wide, and in larger numbers, but they seem to be confined to the east coast.

(Side note - B32 actually aren't bad in road service, assuming multiple units on the train. Aside from a few limitations, they can dig in and pull almost as well as their more modern counterparts. However, single unit service is awful, because running HEP just seems to suck all of the life out of them...)
  by ACeInTheHole

Im not a GE fan by any stretch, but I have always liked the P32-8 and B40-8W, I think I just like their mini dash 8 looks
  by KV1guy

GOSH TINA!
  by NHAirLine

I like the Dash 8-40B's that are in service running freight on the NEC on P&W. It's neat to see some 4-axle freight action...
  by slchub

KV1guy wrote:GOSH TINA!
ELMO!