• Commuter Rail Schedule Question

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTAFan

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if a commuter rail sticks to the same track all day for its schedule, or if it changes it's destination when it starts at south station. I know it's a confusing question, but here's an example:

Say a Providence train finishes up at South Station. Will it head back to Providence or will it go somewhere different like Needham or Franklin for example? I just want to know if the trains stay on the same track all day, or if they switch to different locations. Thank you!
  by AEM7AC920

That's easy no they don't, the same set may turn back to where it just came from for a trip or 2 but nothing stays on the same line all day.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

There are a few exceptions to this. For example, the super set P508-P523 stays on the Worcester line all day...seeing as it does only 1 roundtrip. As soon as she gets to Boston, off to Readville she goes to layover, and when the time is right, back to South Station to bring P523 back to Worcester. But like AEM-7 wrote, some sets could go over 4 lines a day, it is very rare to have a set stay to just one line. The best bet would be on the weekends that this would happen. Most PVD trains turn for the next PVD, do a couple roundtrips, get fueled and back to PVD
  by AEM7AC920

A trip to readville classifies it as going over a different line doesn't it ;).
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

AEM7AC920 wrote:A trip to readville classifies it as going over a different line doesn't it ;).
hahaha ok ok I guess that is true, indeed it does :-D