• Former south layup track Hicksville

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

Photo: William J. Brennan published in the Morning Sun book "The Long Island Rail Road in Color, Volume 4", by Arthur J. Erdman., page 87. View E from west of station area 1/1967.

Perhaps the south layup track remained until the Charlotte Ave grade crossing elimination around 72/73, OR?
  by Teutobergerwald

That 1982 pic is at the Hicksville Freight Yard. Wasn't the 223 the power on that trip? I wonder if the yard had any freight spotted in it? It was really hit or miss there seeing freight or power laid up on the weekends there in the '80's & '90's. Have never seen any NYA power laid up in the yard.
  by LRail

The second pic is exactly the track I've been looking for. Next question: does anyone have a pic of a GP38 on that siding???
  by Teutobergerwald

Or Century 420's ????
  by nyandw

LRail wrote:The second pic is exactly the track I've been looking for. Next question: does anyone have a pic of a GP38 on that siding???
Where these the Ronkonkoma push-pull shuttle trains that made connection at Hicksville with electric trains running through to Huntington?
  by Ocala Mike

nyandw wrote:
Where these the Ronkonkoma push-pull shuttle trains that made connection at Hicksville with electric trains running through to Huntington?

Weren't those primarily (exclusively?) powered by FA-units? I remember them quite vividly when I lived in Deer Park.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The elevated Hicksville station opened 1964, however work began 1962. The viaduct and roadbed is complete by this point and it clearly is a winter scene. This would be winter 1963-1964 (December-March).
  by LB

Steve, have you seen these photos from the Hicksville Public Library Collection? I did a quick search on Rail Road Elevation; they have dozens of photos of the project in their collection (not sure if full collection is digitized yet). Also, if you go to the home page and search on Rail Road, there are quite a few shots of the Freeport Elevation as well.

http://cdm16373.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... cri/ad/asc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by nyandw

LB wrote:Steve, have you seen these photos from the Hicksville Public Library Collection? I did a quick search on Rail Road Elevation; they have dozens of photos of the project in their collection (not sure if full collection is digitized yet). Also, if you go to the home page and search on Rail Road, there are quite a few shots of the Freeport Elevation as well. http://cdm16373.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... cri/ad/asc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, LB! Many of the photos appear to be the Kodak 110 pocket camera of that era. :P
  by LB

nyandw wrote:Image
Can anyone help date this Ed Bady photo? It is view E at Broadway, Hicksville during the Grade Crossing Elimination project.
Photo is most likely from late 1963. I wonder how they got that car up there?
  by ErnieM

LB wrote:
nyandw wrote:Image
Can anyone help date this Ed Bady photo? It is view E at Broadway, Hicksville during the Grade Crossing Elimination project.
Photo is most likely from late 1963. I wonder how they got that car up there?
First quibble is the picture is looking directly over Newbridge Road, Broadway is east close to the base of the Y.

The viaduct itself ends shortly west of Newbridge or close to the bottom of this picture. To get material up on the viaduct there would be a roadway access, possibly from Duffy Avenue which would avoid the temporary track work.
  by keyboardkat

Ocala Mike wrote:
nyandw wrote:

Weren't those primarily (exclusively?) powered by FA-units? I remember them quite vividly when I lived in Deer Park.
The shuttle trains were not actually "powered by" the FAs. The FA units were actually HEP generator cab cars, converted from locomotives obtained second-hand from other railroads. They had no traction motors and furnished no propulsion power, but provided a "push" end operating cab, and generated 600v. D.C. in lieu of third-rail current to drive the lighting and HVAC in the cars, which were modified from former electric MU cars when they were displaced from electric schedules by the M-1s. The trains were actually propelled by Alco C420s at the other end, and later, EMD GP-38-2s.