• Ease of resale of older locomotives

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by SouthernRailway

I've been looking at investing in a transaction that, if things go wrong, could result in me being the owner of a locomotive that is about 55 years old. It's in working order and is used by a railroad for its freight trains and sometimes for excursion trains.

Question: How easy and quick is it to sell such a locomotive? Would it be realistic to think that a 55-year old locomotive in good condition could be sold in a few months, through a broker, at a price in line with the asking prices posted online?

I've looked online and there seem to be railroad locomotive and car brokers who quote prices of locomotives such as the one in question, and their price quotes are consistent with the appraisal of the locomotive in question, and it's much more expensive than I'd had ever guessed. However, the only buyers of old locomotives would be, in my view, short lines and tourist operators, and so it would be a limited market. But people do have them for sale and do use them, odd as it seems to me.

Thanks.
  by DutchRailnut

If locomotive has brakes or engines no longer used (no longer serviceable), you may find yourself stuck with a 55 year old paper weight.
which at that time you could only donate to a museum or rail preservation group