• Former south layup track Hicksville

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LRail

Does anyone have any pics of the Ronkonkoma diesels laying up on the former south layup track. Also, does anyone knw when the track was removed. You used to be able to see some remnants.
  by Teutobergerwald

Was that the remnant visible in the late fall/winter/early spring just past the west end of the platform descending down towards the Verizon facility?
  by LRail

I think so. The siding actually joined east of where the platform began.
  by SwingMan

It started about 1-2 car lengths into the current platform. There are still some ties left behind from it if you look.
  by LRail

Part II --- When did they add the 3rd platform track? According to the 1966 map, it wasn't there back then.
  by Head-end View

That map would be wrong. The elevated station with 3 station tracks was completed in 1965. It has never been modified since the original construction.
  by LRail

Map in the Hicksville section. Still looking for info about the south layup track, and now the north station track. Pics would be really great!
  by Head-end View

That map may not be correct re: the track layout in Hicksville Station and the switch set-up in front of Divide Tower. It fails to show the middle station track. Unless my memory is wrong the current track layout and switches just east of the platforms are the original construction design from the 1960's elevation project. I don't think it was ever changed from the time it was built to the present. But, if I'm wrong and anyone knows different, please correct me.

Another error on that map is the name of the Parkway at the left side of the picture. It definitely is the Wantagh Pkwy, not Northern State Pkwy. Whoever drew that map didn't have much sense of accuracy.
  by nyandw

Head-end View wrote:That map may not be correct re: the track layout in Hicksville Station and the switch set-up in front of Divide Tower. It fails to show the middle station track. Unless my memory is wrong the current track layout and switches just east of the platforms are the original construction design from the 1960's elevation project. I don't think it was ever changed from the time it was built to the present. But, if I'm wrong and anyone knows different, please correct me.

Another error on that map is the name of the Parkway at the left side of the picture. It definitely is the Wantagh Pkwy, not Northern State Pkwy. Whoever drew that map didn't have much sense of accuracy.
You are sure correct. The LIRR 1966 maps are not always accurate as I am familiar with specific track configs in a number of towns. Amazing to me the LIRR created these, but were they for line staff, the public, or? They are crude, etc. Perhaps this is another thread to start. Hmmm...
  by Cannon Ball

Regarding the crudely-drawn stick maps of each town from 1966: These were basically "crib sheets" created for the benefit of new freight brakemen, as well as experienced freight train crews who might not have called at a particular siding or consignee in many years. Out east, finding a consignee was pretty straightforward, with some stations having only one customer left, but in the metro area, finding a particular siding/consignee among a maze of tracks and buildings could be daunting indeed for someone who hadn't been in there for years prior.

1966 was in the days before computers, and crib sheets like this need not be precisely drawn to get the point across!

I have never seen a full set of similar sheets from any year other than 1966, but enough changes and omissions are evident in the 1966 version to suggest that there must've been earlier versions, too. Anybody else remember these from back then??
  by nyandw

Cannon Ball wrote:I have never seen a full set of similar sheets from any year other than 1966, but enough changes and omissions are evident in the 1966 version to suggest that there must've been earlier versions, too. Anybody else remember these from back then??
I have never seen another set either and been looking on eBay for 15 yrs. Why just 1966?

BTW: I have added these maps to this page: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/freightsidings.htm as I go along. About another 40 pages to go. 79 pages of maps. The page listings are what I typed up for this webpage and am adding the mileposts and siding pictures as I can. Getting industry pictures is a treasure hunt as most of them are accidental to the actual photo subject.

Anyone that can help with this page, Please post! :-)