• Cannonball to operate out of Penn Station.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by lirr42

Amtrak7 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2CP-ybzinc

This video shows 2708 as an 8 car set...
Hmmm, I must of miscounted (I must admit, I was in a rush--I thought the train left at 1:52 for some reason and was strolling up to the station at 1:48.5 when I realized my mistake and made a mad dash for the first open door I saw).

The train was absolutely packed, though. If they can fill an 8-car set like that at 2 in the afternoon it's pretty impressive.

Sorry for the mistake.
  by lirr42

Amtrak7 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1T6WlTQTuQ

What is that C3 train across the platform visible a couple times in the shot? 658 doesn't usually come into the station until after its announced...
In typical passenger boarding at Penn Station you can hear the station announcer at some point say that the last two cars on the train were practically empty!

There are also photos on MTA's Flickr Stream: http://t.co/gadDNClBND
  by Doc Emmet Brown

That was the Conductor announcing the rear two were empty, the trains have speakers on the outside too.. the female voice was the station announcer
  by Doc Emmet Brown

A few of the Bi-levels have extra luggage space and an area for a bar car, dont know if they use them for the reserved cars.
  by Amtrak7

In terms of Sunday return trains:

8703 12 min
8710 11 min
8705 12 min
8709 15 min
8711 20 min
8715 12 min

No alert has been sent yet for the Cannonball West. Note that there is a mistake in the GTFS, so it's not shown as running to NYP. LIRR has said they are fixing it.

Overall not so bad!
  by Amtrak7

Final OTP results are up for last Friday.

2708 14min
2798 20min
254 17min
256 10min

Everything else on time.
  by LRail

I just read on the LIRR website that the Cannonball is sold out for the remainder of the season. I was just wondering if the railroad is restricted to just 12 cars on the train or could they increase the size to 14 cars, with a total of 4 Reserved Cars. The old Cannonball with the Sunrise Fleet cars had 8 coaches and 6 parlors if I remember correctly. It's obvious that the reserved seating is popular.
  by onorclose7

They don't have any extra cars to do that, even if they wanted to. And for some reason, they refuse to buy or lease any. A railroad run by bean counters, not railroad people
  by Amtrak7

How has Hamptons Reserve ridership been on the westbound train?
  by LIengineerBob

LRail wrote:I just read on the LIRR website that the Cannonball is sold out for the remainder of the season. I was just wondering if the railroad is restricted to just 12 cars on the train or could they increase the size to 14 cars, with a total of 4 Reserved Cars. The old Cannonball with the Sunrise Fleet cars had 8 coaches and 6 parlors if I remember correctly. It's obvious that the reserved seating is popular.
The maximum number of cars that can be reliably fed HEP is 12 cars from the DE/DM locomotive and you will need a pair of them to do so. That is also the maximum number of cars that can be reliable pulled by the pair is 12 cars. Adding an extra engine won't help the HEP situation any as one might think, but it would help the power problem. That is why you would rarely ever see anything more then a 12 car set running anyplace.