• Comet I set MIA?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by BuddSilverliner269

boomer wrote:Any day now. Keep yer eyes peeled.
Boomer you might be right, the comets were missing from plain view in Frazer yard today. Will try to look for them tomorrow.
  by boomer

They are ready to roll, just need a working engine to pull 'em. As soon as one becomes available out they go.
  by Limited-Clear

Great just what Septa and the passengers need, the comets back with their usual unreliable running, not to mention it takes away another engine from the regular bomber sets, they can barely keep the 7 AEM7s and ALP44 going long enough to run 6 bomber sets Monday to friday
  by boomer

Limited-Clear wrote:Great just what Septa and the passengers need, the comets back with their usual unreliable running, not to mention it takes away another engine from the regular bomber sets, they can barely keep the 7 AEM7s and ALP44 going long enough to run 6 bomber sets Monday to friday

Agreed, I don't understand the thinking either. Plenty of SLVs so why bother with the old comets?
  by South Jersey Budd

I agree because the last time I was on them they were not in very good shape. Door issues, soft floors, worn seats, hot cars. I would like to take a look at them to see just what SEPTA did to them but I don't think there have been many car shortages since the last of the V's arrived, so I'm not sure why they are back either.

Is SPEPTA going ahead with the push pull coach interior upgrade? Maybe the comets will spell the coaches that are being renovated?
  by blockline4180

South Jersey Budd wrote:I agree because the last time I was on them they were not in very good shape. Door issues, soft floors, worn seats, hot cars. I would like to take a look at them to see just what SEPTA did to them but I don't think there have been many car shortages since the last of the V's arrived, so I'm not sure why they are back either.

Is SPEPTA going ahead with the push pull coach interior upgrade? Maybe the comets will spell the coaches that are being renovated?

So then why were they out of service soo long then??? I had thought there was some interior work done on them?? Or was it just the brake work??
  by aem7

The comets were not usable in their condition as of 7/1/12 by law. They have since added the required PA/Intercom systems to the cars and they should be back in service by the end of the month.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Comets are running tomorrow on Wtr line. This is from a reliable source.
  by rslitman

Both 6374 and 6378 had locomotive-driven trainsets today. But this morning, 6321 had Silverliner 4s.
  by glennk419

boomer wrote:
Limited-Clear wrote:Great just what Septa and the passengers need, the comets back with their usual unreliable running, not to mention it takes away another engine from the regular bomber sets, they can barely keep the 7 AEM7s and ALP44 going long enough to run 6 bomber sets Monday to friday

Agreed, I don't understand the thinking either. Plenty of SLVs so why bother with the old comets?
Isn't the June - August timeframe when many of the EMU's are due for their annual inspections? Could that be eating up enough cars to warrant running the Comets?
  by rslitman

The Comets are on 6374 tonight.
  by blockline4180

Anyone have any photos or videos??? Thanks
  by glennk419

rslitman wrote:The Comets are on 6374 tonight.
They were on 6374 again this evening. Saw them come through Noble at 5:12 but was too far away to see what was pushing although it looked to be an AEM-7.
  by scotty269

Cleared Newtown Junction 5:05pm.
  by glennk419

scotty269 wrote:Cleared Newtown Junction 5:05pm.
WOW, 7 minutes from NK to Noble, that almost has to be a record.