• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by jwhite07

Too soon for that joke, Otto. WAY too soon... ;-P
  by CannaScrews

Stanley Cup anybody????

Curse of the Bambino?

Boston - a suburb in search of a city. Who LIVES in Boston - always Newton, Allston, Dorchester.....

(Emoticons - :-D :P :wink: )

I (heart) Boston - triple bypass - whoops!
  by markhb

Allston and Dorchester are actually neighborhoods in Boston. :-)
  by 3rdrail

I live in Boston. Many here do. I actually think that your incongruous statement is very misinformed. I recall as I travel about that often times someone will approach me, delighted that they found another "Bostonian" which they proclaim to be. When you ask them where in Boston they're from, they'll say something like Ipswich ! Also, judging by your disenfranchising Dorchester and Allston from the City, it seems like you make a common mistake that many tourists make and that is thinking that the City is Downtown and the Back Bay only.
  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote="markhb"]Allston and Dorchester are actually neighborhoods in Boston. :-)[/quote]

Allston is a lawless wasteland.
  by markhb

theseaandalifesaver wrote:
markhb wrote:Allston and Dorchester are actually neighborhoods in Boston. :-)
Moreso or less than the old St. James St. Greyhound station was?
  by 3rdrail

markhb wrote:
theseaandalifesaver wrote:
markhb wrote:Allston and Dorchester are actually neighborhoods in Boston. :-)
Moreso or less than the old St. James St. Greyhound station was?
All of Park Square for that matter. It gave the Zone a run for it's money ! There was mob oversight in the Combat Zone, not so in Park Square. I got circled by rift raft who were going to wipe up the street with me at Beach/Wash. Club owners came out and loaned me their phone when I found my walkie battery dead ! They stood by until the cavalry came. I would have been "up the creek without a paddle" as they say without them.
  by ebtmikado

In my hometown of Kearny, NJ, a German deli used to sell a sausage called "'Cincinnati"

;-)
  by CarterB

Lower level loop photo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... l_loop.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These were intended to be used for electrified service (steam trains could not safely operated underground) but no commuter lines were electrified and the platforms were never used. 1899
  by Cosmo

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Cosmo wrote:WAIT!
It IS related! The Red Line's "South Station" station's lobby is NOW in the space that used to be the loop tunnel.
I can't remember the exact layout, but I believe part of one wall is either original or in the same spot as the original tunnle wall.
Of course, the actual Red Line platforms are well below all this.
No you're totally right. Makes sense to me. As long as we're going down that path, I heard there's a trolley subway in Cincinnati that they never finished. Has stations and everything with no track in them. I bet somehow this is related to Boston. It must be.

-otto-
It may or may not be related, but I did think of it when the previous subway was mentioned.
But I was hoping someone could chime in with better detail of exactly what part of the Red Line's South Sta lobby was actually part of the old station.
  by Leo Sullivan

I can't find the lower Level diagram right now but, I do know that the railroad loop was entirely
within the property line of the Boston Terminal Company and, the subway lobby
was entirely outside that property. The direct entrance to the inside of south Station
is relatively new, after the property all became public sector.
LS
  by Pat Fahey

Hi
Here is a Track Chart showing the unused Loop Track , Pat.
Right_of_way_and_track_map_the_Boston_Terminal_Co_from_Fort_Point_Channel_to_Summer_St_city_of_Boston_state_of_Mass.jp # 2g.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Pat Fahey

Hi All
I forgot to add one photo, this shot was taken in 1903 , note track to right of photo,this is part of loop. Pat.
South_Station_1903_looking_at_tracks_loc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.