• MARC Brunswick and Camden Line Contract Award to Bombardier

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by LVfastfreight

I am 100% certain that when Amtrak lost the VRE contract to Veolis that ONLY 1 Amtrak engineer stayed. I can't Imagine any CSX crews leaving CSX to work for the new contractor. Most of them are close to retirement and wouldn't jealordize that by leaving with a few years left. In the end it's a shame these jobs will most likely end up to non union inexperienced crews just to save a few bucks on the bottom line of an Goverment entity.
  by chucksc

realtype wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Does CSX Retain dispatcher control,or MARC becomes a true operator??
A brief fair use quote from the article:

CSX will continue to own the tracks and other infrastructure on the Camden and Brunswick lines; once the transition is complete, its role will be more that of a landlord leasing its space.

The contract calls for Bombardier to provide train crews, operate locomotives and other equipment, collect fares, and manage customer service and passenger relations.

The MTA would continue to oversee contract performance and have a voice in scheduling, Owens said. It would continue to own the locomotives and rail cars used on all three MARC lines would continue to have a contractual relationship with CSX as owner of the tracks.
The ultimate question is where do you get the crews from? How many people are willing to leave CSX for a 5 year contract with no future guarantees?
Well I think when VRE switched contractors from Amtrak to Keolis a fair number of Amtrak employees stuck around.
Actually IIRC only 1 Amtrak engineer joined Keolis - however they did a pretty good job Raiding NJT for T&E crews - as a customer I believe they are every bit as good as the former Amtrak folks and a lot less "grouchy" (ROFL)
  by ThirdRail7

The last time I was in DC, I asked some of the crew members from Camden what was going on and they said no one has really said a word to them at this point. Most indicated they were inclined to stay at CSX while one was adamant that he'd stay on the passenger side if possible.

However, all is quiet.
  by LVfastfreight

An interesting fact most people might not know is that MARC rejected the bid from Keolis due to the fact they were contracted by the Nazis to run trains to concentration camps 70 years ago for profit. When Bombardier does take over the only thing that will change is that they will crew the trains instead of CSX crews. At least as far as CSX is concerned in the deal. The CSX guys are going to take a huge hit with the loss of this work. In Brunswick, MD half of the current T&E guys are working in passenger service. I would think a large portion of that work force will stay with CSX. The seniority roster for working Marc service on CSX goes by date of qualification for passenger service. I would think most of the younger guys would stay with CSX. The older guys might stay as well since they could hold a regular local until retirement. It all depends on the pay and benifets offered by bombardier. Another factor is that Brunswick lost all the pool jobs back in '01. The pool to Acca (Richmond,Va) was moved to Acca. The short pool to Cumberland was moved to Cumberland as a home terminal. It's possible alot of the younger CSX guys might go with Bombardier since the other option is to move or be furloughed. They will be facing a tough decision. I'd have to do the math to see who stands where. The younger guys in passenger service could stay with CSX and displace and the new hires working freight on CSX. But I do believe there will be guys with 10-15 years seniority losing out in Brunswick if just half the passenger guys stayed with CSX. Whatever happens its another sad day for those guys. The choice of working passenger or freight in 2012/13 was great while it lasted.
  by RailVet

Stating Keolis was contracted by the Nazis is, to put it mildly, a big stretch. It didn't exist during WW II. Its parent company, SNCF of France, operated trains under Nazi occupation and orders. This was by no means a typical business contract, and compliance with orders from occupation authorities wasn't optional. From the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star:

http://news.fredericksburg.com/transpor ... holocaust/

Excerpt:
Some have been critical of the backlash against SNCF and Keolis as being unfair and lacking sound historical information. A January New York Times article quoted Arno Klarsfeld, son of the Nazi-hunter Serge Klarsfeld:

“This American pressure on the S.N.C.F. has tarnished the memory of 1,647 train drivers who were executed or deported and never came back. It discards the role of German authorities and the French Vichy state and lessens the responsibility of those who took charge of departing the Jews who lived in France.”
  by bbunge

RailVet wrote:Stating Keolis was contracted by the Nazis is, to put it mildly, a big stretch. It didn't exist during WW II. Its parent company, SNCF of France, operated trains under Nazi occupation and orders. This was by no means a typical business contract, and compliance with orders from occupation authorities wasn't optional. From the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star:
Here here! And the real joke, is according to a piece in TRAINS magazine, some of Bombardier's historic parent companies do have direct ties to the Nazis. Any of us who live in Maryland should be embarrassed by the ignorance of our elected officials and worried about how a few lobbiests with fat wallets were able to buy off our officials. A few too many $500+ dinners at the Ruth's Chris in Annapolis.

Bob
  by Jersey_Mike

bbunge wrote:
RailVet wrote:Stating Keolis was contracted by the Nazis is, to put it mildly, a big stretch. It didn't exist during WW II. Its parent company, SNCF of France, operated trains under Nazi occupation and orders. This was by no means a typical business contract, and compliance with orders from occupation authorities wasn't optional. From the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star:
Here here! And the real joke, is according to a piece in TRAINS magazine, some of Bombardier's historic parent companies do have direct ties to the Nazis. Any of us who live in Maryland should be embarrassed by the ignorance of our elected officials and worried about how a few lobbiests with fat wallets were able to buy off our officials. A few too many $500+ dinners at the Ruth's Chris in Annapolis.
Isn't one of Bombardier parent companies Hawker-Siddley which built the Hawker Hurricane that provided the bulk of the defense in the Battle of Britain? If the MBTA can buy cars from both Hawker and Messerschmidt then who the hell cars any more. BTW before anyone goes around trying to shame people due to this or that historical connection you might want to examine historical American views on both race and semitism. We had ourselves a pretty good system of forced labor camps going to and anyone who has ridden the Cardinal between Orange and Clifton Forge has benefit from it.
  by SurlyKnuckle

LVfastfreight wrote:An interesting fact most people might not know is that MARC rejected the bid from Keolis due to the fact they were contracted by the Nazis to run trains to concentration camps 70 years ago for profit. When Bombardier does take over the only thing that will change is that they will crew the trains instead of CSX crews. At least as far as CSX is concerned in the deal. The CSX guys are going to take a huge hit with the loss of this work. In Brunswick, MD half of the current T&E guys are working in passenger service. I would think a large portion of that work force will stay with CSX. The seniority roster for working Marc service on CSX goes by date of qualification for passenger service. I would think most of the younger guys would stay with CSX. The older guys might stay as well since they could hold a regular local until retirement. It all depends on the pay and benifets offered by bombardier. Another factor is that Brunswick lost all the pool jobs back in '01. The pool to Acca (Richmond,Va) was moved to Acca. The short pool to Cumberland was moved to Cumberland as a home terminal. It's possible alot of the younger CSX guys might go with Bombardier since the other option is to move or be furloughed. They will be facing a tough decision. I'd have to do the math to see who stands where. The younger guys in passenger service could stay with CSX and displace and the new hires working freight on CSX. But I do believe there will be guys with 10-15 years seniority losing out in Brunswick if just half the passenger guys stayed with CSX. Whatever happens its another sad day for those guys. The choice of working passenger or freight in 2012/13 was great while it lasted.
Yeah, all that and more.

All this was supposed to be taking place around June, and we still have no idea what's going to happen. No contract yet that anybody's seen. Honestly, "catastrophic" is the word that comes to mind when considering the blow-back of the nearly 70 men with seniority coming back from passenger service into freight. You're going to need 10 years just to hold an extralist. Between Baltimore, Brunswick, and Benning, there aren't going to be many jobs for the younger guys to go if & when the passenger men come back. I've got about 5 years in, and the feeling is dismal. Nothing like going from having choices of which regular assignment you want to hold, to worrying about being furloughed again.

If we wanted it back then, now it's even more so that we're gonna be missing all that work that went to Cumberland and Richmond.

Some of those guys haven't been on a freight train in 10+ years, and really love passenger. I'm sure there are uneasy feelings on their side, too. And just to clarify, it used to be that you got your passenger turn when you qualified. It's not like that anymore. It was grandfathered in that now your regular trainmen's seniority is also your passenger seniority. A few years ago, there was an outcry because one of the oldest men on the roster wanted to qualify passenger. Man, all those guys were upset because this guy had like 40 years. They let him qualify, but he's stayed away from it mostly.

Well, it's still just suspicion and only time will tell. But judging on what we know so far, nobody wants this to happen.
  by bmoremikey

Not much word on the contract for the craft employees at the Riverside or Brunswich service centers. All we know is that CSX is abolishing all our jobs. As for a Machinist at River side there is 15 of us and they are abolishing all our jobs, then going to post 5 jobs to work a service truck for CSX. So anyone low on a senority list my not have a job with CSX. (to many this should be considered as dismissing an employee and they should receive protection under the New York Doc agreement).
All we keep hearing is that Bombardier is going to adhear to the same contract in place now, but that it is all rumor. Our unions know nothing at this time and it is strating to become fustrating. They say this switch is going to take place June 1, right now it is looking this is going to be a mess.
  by ThirdRail7

Bombardier posted quite a few jobs for the MARC service. The vast majority of them have this disclaimer:
Please note that Bombardier is required to offer priority of employment to current employees assigned to the MARC Camden and Brunswick Lines. We recognize, however, that not all such employees may accept our offer to join Bombardier and that other vacancies may arise. To address these contingencies, and given the amount of time it takes to complete the recruitment process and the tight training deadlines that BTS must meet in order to successfully complete the transfer of services as scheduled, it is necessary for BTS to begin active outside recruiting now for all positions. You may be contacted, have a phone screen or interview but offers will not be made until our hiring obligations to the MARC staff have been satisfied.
I see they are attempting to fold trainmaster and road foreman into one position...while also making it clear they may have to perform service as an engineer or conductor.

Wow.
  by mmi16

ThirdRail7 wrote:Bombardier posted quite a few jobs for the MARC service. The vast majority of them have this disclaimer:
Please note that Bombardier is required to offer priority of employment to current employees assigned to the MARC Camden and Brunswick Lines. We recognize, however, that not all such employees may accept our offer to join Bombardier and that other vacancies may arise. To address these contingencies, and given the amount of time it takes to complete the recruitment process and the tight training deadlines that BTS must meet in order to successfully complete the transfer of services as scheduled, it is necessary for BTS to begin active outside recruiting now for all positions. You may be contacted, have a phone screen or interview but offers will not be made until our hiring obligations to the MARC staff have been satisfied.
I see they are attempting to fold trainmaster and road foreman into one position...while also making it clear they may have to perform service as an engineer or conductor.

Wow.
The current CSX field level supervisor for MARC operations currently is a Trainmaster/Road Foreman, having been promoted to the position from having been a straight Road Foreman. CSX in many cases are 'promoting' Road Foremen of Engines to the position of Trainmaster.
  by ThirdRail7

mmi16 wrote: The current CSX field level supervisor for MARC operations currently is a Trainmaster/Road Foreman, having been promoted to the position from having been a straight Road Foreman. CSX in many cases are 'promoting' Road Foremen of Engines to the position of Trainmaster.

Interesting. Does the Trainsmaster/Foreman have to operate trains if an engineer doesn't show up or become a conductor if they are short?
  by mmi16

ThirdRail7 wrote:
mmi16 wrote: The current CSX field level supervisor for MARC operations currently is a Trainmaster/Road Foreman, having been promoted to the position from having been a straight Road Foreman. CSX in many cases are 'promoting' Road Foremen of Engines to the position of Trainmaster.

Interesting. Does the Trainsmaster/Foreman have to operate trains if an engineer doesn't show up or become a conductor if they are short?
Not permitted by CSX labor contracts. What happens after Bombardier takes over will be up to Bombardier.
  by mmi16

bmoremikey wrote:Not much word on the contract for the craft employees at the Riverside or Brunswich service centers. All we know is that CSX is abolishing all our jobs. As for a Machinist at River side there is 15 of us and they are abolishing all our jobs, then going to post 5 jobs to work a service truck for CSX. So anyone low on a senority list my not have a job with CSX. (to many this should be considered as dismissing an employee and they should receive protection under the New York Doc agreement).
All we keep hearing is that Bombardier is going to adhear to the same contract in place now, but that it is all rumor. Our unions know nothing at this time and it is strating to become fustrating. They say this switch is going to take place June 1, right now it is looking this is going to be a mess.
June 1 has come and gone and I haven't heard anything about Bombardier taking over. Is there any official date that has been published?
  by gp40marc69

mmi16 wrote:
bmoremikey wrote:Not much word on the contract for the craft employees at the Riverside or Brunswich service centers. All we know is that CSX is abolishing all our jobs. As for a Machinist at River side there is 15 of us and they are abolishing all our jobs, then going to post 5 jobs to work a service truck for CSX. So anyone low on a senority list my not have a job with CSX. (to many this should be considered as dismissing an employee and they should receive protection under the New York Doc agreement).
June 1 has come and gone and I haven't heard anything about Bombardier taking over. Is there any official date that has been published?
From what I've heard, it should start next week. It was supposed to start today but I dunno what happened. I talked to a bunch of the CSX crew that I know and a bulk of them are going over to Bombardier.