• steam locomotive manufacturers in New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Ridgefielder

Cosmo wrote:Interesting!
I have that book aas well.
I believe most of those shop buildings are still standing, including the "enclosed" roundhouse, which is now a plumbing supply co. between the tracks and Rt 12.
Amazing that the buildings are still standing, considering the Norwich & Worcester hasn't existed as an independant road in over 125 years.

Found the following paragraph in Cape Cod Railroads, by Roger Farson: "The Old Colony's roster of motive power was heavy with New England products. Besides its own shops that turned out locomotives in South Boston, the two builders in Taunton-- Mason Machine Works and Taunton Locomotive Works-- supplied many engines. Most of the Boston companies sold to the Old Colony, such as Hinkley, John Souther and Jabez Coney."

Taunton, Mason and Hinkley were already mentioned farther back in the thread. I found Souther-- the Globe Locomotive Works-- on Wikipedia but can't find anything on Jabez Coney. Anyone out there know anything about that builder? Also, by saying "most" of the Boston companies, it would imply that there were more than three locomotive builders in Boston at one time-- or more than four, if you count the OCRR shops.
  by 3rdrail

Boston Locomotive Works, which later became Hinkley, was on Summer St. by South Station.(By where One Financial Center is now.)
  by Cosmo

Ridgefielder wrote:
Cosmo wrote:Interesting!
I have that book aas well.
I believe most of those shop buildings are still standing, including the "enclosed" roundhouse, which is now a plumbing supply co. between the tracks and Rt 12.
Amazing that the buildings are still standing, considering the Norwich & Worcester hasn't existed as an independant road in over 125 years.

Found the following paragraph in Cape Cod Railroads, by Roger Farson: "The Old Colony's roster of motive power was heavy with New England products. Besides its own shops that turned out locomotives in South Boston, the two builders in Taunton-- Mason Machine Works and Taunton Locomotive Works-- supplied many engines. Most of the Boston companies sold to the Old Colony, such as Hinkley, John Souther and Jabez Coney."

Taunton, Mason and Hinkley were already mentioned farther back in the thread. I found Souther-- the Globe Locomotive Works-- on Wikipedia but can't find anything on Jabez Coney. Anyone out there know anything about that builder? Also, by saying "most" of the Boston companies, it would imply that there were more than three locomotive builders in Boston at one time-- or more than four, if you count the OCRR shops.
Yes, it truly is.
Also amazing, I got to look inside the roundhouse building! The Shetuckett P&S guys are usually quite friendly. Just drop by when someone is there (usually "normal business hours, and I believe Saturdays too,) and ask someone, usually one of the older guys, and they'll likely be glad to let you "peek."
You can't see where the turntable itself was as that's now the basement, but from the main floor you get quite a nice view of the roof structure over the pit.
Truly amazing since those timbers must be well over 100 yrs old by now.
  by MEC407

Wiscasset Waterville & Farmington's steam locomotive #9 (originally built as Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes #6) was built by the Portland Company. It is undergoing restoration, according to WW&F's web site.
  by Ridgefielder

MEC407 wrote:Wiscasset Waterville & Farmington's steam locomotive #9 (originally built as Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes #6) was built by the Portland Company. It is undergoing restoration, according to WW&F's web site.
Per Wikipedia:
-Hinkley: an 0-4-0 at the Maine State Museum in Augusta.
-Manchester: six 0-2-2-0's at the Mt. Washington Cog Railway; the B&M 4-4-0 on display at White River Junction
-Mason: a 4-4-0 at the B&O museum and an 0-6-4 at the Henry Ford in Dearborn.
-Rhode Island: A C&S 2-8-0 on display in Idaho Springs, CO; a MStP&SSM 0-6-0 in Manitowoc, WI; an 0-4-4T built for the Chicago El at the Museum of Transportation in Kirkwood, MO; a Wabash 2-6-0 at the same museum; and an 0-6-0T built for something called the Mathieson Alkali Works at a museum in Saltville, VA.

Sounds like the only operational ones are the Manchester 0-2-2-0's on The Cog.

Also- the Daniel Nason, a wood-burning 4-4-0 built by the Boston & Providence in 1858, is at the Museum of Transportation in Kirkwood.
  by BOMX1200

The William Mason at the B&O is operational and the oldest operating steam engine in the Western Hemisphere at that.
  by atsf sp

When was the last time they ran the William Mason?
  by Ridgefielder

BOMX1200 wrote:The William Mason at the B&O is operational and the oldest operating steam engine in the Western Hemisphere at that.
Apparently the 0-6-4 at the Henry Ford is operational as well.

Surprizing that the two surviving Mason-built engines are in working order, considering the company ceased locomotive production in 1889.
  by MarkB

I just found this thread in a search. The Hinkley works was not at south station. it was between Harrison ave and Albany street just south of Randolph st. It's a bus yard now. And for more than you ever wanted to know about Jabez Coney, go here:

http://rememberjamaicaplain.blogspot.co ... e-you.html

Also, not an independent shop, but the Boston and Providence line built their own locomotives in Roxbury just north of Ruggles st on the west side of the B&P tracks, under master mechanic George Griggs. I'm working on a blog post on the shop right now.
  by CVRA7

The National Museum of Transportation also has former Boston & Albany 39, "Marmora", built at the company shops (IIRC West Springfield MA) in 1876.
  by S1f3432

GTR 40 at the Canadian Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada was built by The Portland Co.
in 1872 as GTR 362 and is believed to be the only Portland-built 4-4-0 in existence:

http://cn-40.blogspot.com/2012/10/featu ... -0-40.html

It made a return visit to Portland on the CNR museum train in August 1953.
  by p42thedowneaster

The b&m 0-6-0 with tender at Lowell, MA is a Manchester built, as well as the b&m 2-6-0 formerly of Edaville, (and now kept at RRMNE?)