Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LRail

Have I read the LIRR webpage correctly? It seems like they are reopening the Westhampton, Southampton and East Hampton ticket offices on Sundays and holidays. And perhaps the biggest shocker is that that Montauk's ticket office will also be open, a real first.
  by lirr42

LRail wrote:Have I read the LIRR webpage correctly? It seems like they are reopening the Westhampton, Southampton and East Hampton ticket offices on Sundays and holidays. And perhaps the biggest shocker is that that Montauk's ticket office will also be open, a real first.
That's pretty interesting. It actually makes sense to have some of the busiest Station's ticket offices open, because people don't understand that you can't buy tickets at most east end stations, and when they get on the train at Amagansett with only a credit card, there's going to be trouble. This could probably end up saving the LIRR money, when you think about the sheer amount of duplexes that probably have to be punched on those summer westbound trains.

And hey, maybe I'll be able to by my monthly from my home station like a real commuter ;-)
  by SlackControl

Are they evicting the art gallery from the old station building in Montauk? Does the LIRR still even own the building?
  by onorclose7

Most of the westbound Montauk trains have conductors with credit card machines during the summer months
  by peconicstation

This confusion about ticket offices comes from the special Cannonball Service timetable that the LIRR has been distributing, and has mailed to it's Hamptons Reserve snail-mail list.

The timetable states that "tickets can be purchased at out terminal station, as well as Montauk, Westhampton, Hamptons Bays, Southampton and East Hampton, OR at our easy to use touch-screen ticket machines".

That would be quite a fete for Hampton Bays since there is no station building, or Montauk as the Depot Gallery is already in full swing for the 2013 season. The translation being that the LIRR is going to have temporary ticket offices set up at these (2) stations, or that they will have staff on the platforms with the hand helds to sell tickets.

Stay tuned..............

Ken
  by LRail

Hampton Bays is mentioned under the ticket machine heading. The next section mentions the ticket sale times as well as the waiting room hours. Hampton Bays is not mentioned there.
  by peconicstation

LRail wrote:Hampton Bays is mentioned under the ticket machine heading. The next section mentions the ticket sale times as well as the waiting room hours. Hampton Bays is not mentioned there.
The letter that they sent out talks about ticketing in they way you are mentioning.

The glossy stock Cannonball Timetable lists tickets available at the stations I listed above IN ADDITION to the ticket machines.

The letter is far from clear as well, under "Ticket Offices" is states, "Sunday tickets sold on-board at all East End stations"

Who the heck wrote and proofed this ?

Ken
  by Amtrak7

http://mta.info/lirr/hamptons/reserveservice.htm

Scroll down to bottom of page. Montauk ticket office hours are listed as 1100 to 1900 Sundays and holiday return days. Other east end stations also have the hours listed.
  by lirr42

That linked page says passengers boarding at Penn Station on Fridays should be there 30 minutes in advance to allow enough time for boarding. Nothing like a 12-car dual mode tying up a station track for 30+ minutes at the onset of rush hour!
  by Doc Emmet Brown

It was the same deal when they had the electric taking them to Jamaica to meet the cannonball, no difference..
  by LIengineerBob

Amtrak7 wrote:http://mta.info/lirr/hamptons/reserveservice.htm

Scroll down to bottom of page. Montauk ticket office hours are listed as 1100 to 1900 Sundays and holiday return days. Other east end stations also have the hours listed.
Funny, I didn't see 1900 hours listed anyplace on the letter......................

The LIRR DOES NOT USE the 24-hour clock system, and I would highly doubt 99% of the general population today even knows what it is.
  by Backshophoss

11:00am to 7:00pm are the open hours for the temporary ticket offices,thats what 11:00 to 19:00 translates to.
The Question is will they sell the full range of tickets,or just 1 ways back to the city?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Backshophoss wrote:11:00am to 7:00pm are the open hours for the temporary ticket offices,thats what 11:00 to 19:00 translates to.
The Question is will they sell the full range of tickets,or just 1 ways back to the city?
I wouldn't be surprised if it is like the Willets Point ticket agent (open during Mets games/U.S. Open week only), which sells only one-way/return fares or "Daily" tickets like the red machines.
  by LRail

Interesting to note that unlike Westhampton, East Hampton and Southampton, Montauk will be selling tickets on Sundays and Holidays, without a waiting room. Does that mean they will be setting up a table or wandering ticket clerk?
  by LRail

How are they doing ticket sales at Montauk? Do they have a special "booth" or temporary desk?