• Noticed/Questioned Major Delays, Annulments, Reroutes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by 3rdrail

Are we sure that the photo on the previous page of this thread is a photo of AEM-7 904's encounter with the wild turkey ? The reason that I ask is that the tv news footage showed much more extensive damage with complete engineer's window perforation, along with metal damage in and around the window and cab. Additionally, the engineer was injured physically from shrapnel and in the end, the engine had to be taken out of service due to the fact that "turkey remains" littered the cab. And yes, for the poster above who thought that it might be an early Thanksgiving, glass impregnation can cause severe and fatal internal bleeding. Keep in mind that also that while I am fully aware of the situations comedic aspect, a man went to the hospital and an animal died horribly accidentally.
  by CSX Conductor

After receiving a half dozen different exterior and interior shots of the 904 yesterday I assure you that the pic above IS NOT from yesterday's incident.
  by ThirdRail7

CSX Conductor wrote:After receiving a half dozen different exterior and interior shots of the 904 yesterday I assure you that the pic above IS NOT from yesterday's incident.
Indeed it is not. As indicted, the picture was posted to show the damage inflicted by a small bird at 125mph so people can look at the 904 vs a turkey and have a sense of scale and comparison.

I can change the picture if there is confusion. That way you can clearly see it isn't the 904?
  by Tommy Meehan

ThirdRail7 wrote:...As indicted, the picture was posted to show the damage inflicted by a small bird at 125mph so people can look at the 904 vs a turkey and have a sense of scale and comparison.
I'm not surprised to see a photo of an AEM-7 with a shattered windshield. I was surprised the turkey punched through the windshield and entered the engine cab. And really surprised the windshield frame failed. If that locomotive had hit a gasoline tanker the flaming fuel could have been sprayed into the cab that way. I know this actually used to happen with the old E units but I thought newer locomotives were designed with windshields that were a lot stronger.
  by AMTK1007

shlustig wrote:Does anybody know why #311 (9th) lost 2' 40" between Jefferson City and Sedalia???
I believe there was a locomotive failure
  by cobra30689

I was seriously confused as I watched 20 roll into WAS behind 92.....at almost 5pm. What in the world happened there?
  by shlustig

Does anybody know why:

A. westbound Cardinal #51 (12th) lost 4' 00" between IND and CHI on the 13th?

B. eastbound Cardinal #50 (13th) departed CHI 5' 25" late?

C. south bound Crescent #19 (13th) lost 4' 20" between Lynchburg and Charlotte? and

D. northbound Cardinal #20 (13th) lost 6'00" between Charlotte and Charlottesville?
  by ThirdRail7

shlustig wrote:Does anybody know why:

A. westbound Cardinal #51 (12th) lost 4' 00" between IND and CHI on the 13th?

B. eastbound Cardinal #50 (13th) departed CHI 5' 25" late?

C. south bound Crescent #19 (13th) lost 4' 20" between Lynchburg and Charlotte? and

D. northbound Cardinal #20 (13th) lost 6'00" between Charlotte and Charlottesville?
51(12) was delayed by a grade crossing accident involving 851(12)which closed the area for quite some time. Additionally, they had to detour around a derailment involving NS which also impacted METRA, Amtrak 30 and a bunch of Michigan trains. Since 51 (12) arrived in CHI after the scheduled departure of 50(13) there was no way they could turn and service the trains in time. Once 50(13) departed, they had to detour around the same derailed NS engines.

As for 19 and 20, they were both hindered by storms that passed through the area the caused downed trees. Additionally, NS and CSX instituted Flash Flood restrictions. CSX also added heat restrictions which furthered added to the delay of a ton of Amtrak trains over the last few days.
Last edited by ThirdRail7 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed #6(18) passing my MP 18.34 "more or less" on time.

Of interest was that the consist was lined up in reverse order, i.e. Sleepers on head, Bagg on Rear.

Was that consist turned short of Emeryville account the various wildfires blazing throughout CO and UT, anyone?
  by lirr42

5 & 6 have been short-turning at Reno, NV since June 16 due to UP trackwork. See more info on Amtrak's website here
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

freight train being reported on the ground in Rhode Island somewhere West of PVD, heavy delays for the mid day trains. MBTA #818 (2:02p scheduled dept.) was 30 min late out of Attleboro, MA. What I thought to be AMTK #172 was not, maybe #170??, overtook #818 at HOLDEN. MBTA #809 (scheduled 2:37p dept.) held at THATCHER for #137 to overtake, AMTK #137 was almost 40 min late thru Attleboro

Freight Derailment in RI