• Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scottychaos

wow, that is interesting!
but I don't think there is any hidden meaning to that image! ;)
like perhaps its a hint that part of the old bridge might be kept as a walkway or something..
(I know you didn't suggest there might any hidden meaning, but someone will probably think it! ;)

looks like someone just uploaded an image without the rest of the bridge photoshopped out..
an "in progress" bit of artwork..
probably just a mistaken upload..
version 4 is identical, but the rest of the bridge is gone:

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operat ... lt%204.jpg

Scot
  by Scott K

alsorailfan wrote:Wonder what they plan on doing with the utilities line going across the river at the base of the current bridge?
Relocate and move it all up to under deck of new bridge? Any rate, must be small portion for the reason of the hefty price tag for the new bridge.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operat ... lt%205.jpg

Chris
Why not just leave it where it is? Do the old piers really need to be demo'd?

Scott K.
  by thebigham

scottychaos wrote:wow, that is interesting!
like perhaps its a hint that part of the old bridge might be kept as a walkway or something..
(I know you didn't suggest there might any hidden meaning, but someone will probably think it! ;)

looks like someone just uploaded an image without the rest of the bridge photoshopped out..

Scot
One design might have the old bridge not being torn down. They'll just remove the approaches so trespassers cannot access it.
  by scottychaos

thebigham wrote:
scottychaos wrote:wow, that is interesting!

Scot
One design might have the old bridge not being torn down. They'll just remove the approaches so trespassers cannot access it.
No, that's incredibly unlikely..because..why? ;)
what would be the point of leaving up part of the bridge?
no, that wont happen..the whole bridge will come down.
That photoshopped photo has no bearing on reality, future reality, or any plans for the old bridge.
it is simply an incomplete photoshopped image that got uploaded with part of the bridge not yet fully photoshopped out, that's all..
there is nothing to read into it..

Scot
  by Scott K

I suppose only taking the approaches off could be considerd a cost savings, but I agree, extremely unlikely. I would think the reamining section would then be weaker and somewhat unstable. I certainly wouldn't want to take the chance of it collapsing into the new bridge.

Scott K.
  by thebigham

Where did I say in my post that the approaches were going to be removed and the bridge left in place?

I said one design. I'm sure that design was not chosen.

The bridge is going to removed, right?
  by sd80mac

thebigham wrote:Where did I say in my post that the approaches were going to be removed and the bridge left in place?

5 postings ago...
  by CRAZY4TRAINS

NS has no reason to keep any part of that bridge unless the state wants to own and take on the responsibility for liability. Those utilities will probably be moved to the new bridge. I said it before the new bridge should have some type of observation deck for tourist in the design before any state or federal money is used. With this new bridge higher speeds and longer heavier trains will be the norm, some how NS will try to keep people off the new bridge for these safety concerns.
  by ctclark1

(I know, resurrecting a 6 month old thread, sorry.)

No updates on planning at this point. NYSDOT's status page for the project shows a projected bid opening and construction start both in Fall 2014, with expected completion in 2016. This is all subject to change, but gives you an indication of where they're at and that we shouldn't expect much news until this fall, if it even comes then.

On another note, I found an older document but an interesting one. If any of you were thinking of personally purchasing the old bridge and converting it into a pedestrian bridge yourselves, better start saving up, projected conversion costs are around $3.1million, which might explain why the Parks dept doesn't want to take that project on.
(And... Discuss. lol)
  by siliconwafer

There are some fantastic pictures of the old timber bridge, before and after fire, and some other interesting history about the park and the canal, in this book that I stumbled upon this morning:

http://books.google.com/books?id=N6_juS ... de&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;