Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by lirr42

Thomas wrote:On the issue of Metro North's Hudson Line trains entering Penn Station, I believe that more engineering regarding expanding Penn Station would have to take place. If Penn Station South occurs at the current level, than the single tube Empire Connection would probably do. But, if a deep-level station is the solution, which I have been told is under consideration, than two tubes from the Empire Line could enter the deep-level station.
There will be no deep level station, whoever told you that is off their rockers. ARC is gone. And even if here WAS a deep-level station, the Empire Connction definitely NOT go there. The grade all the way down would be too absurd for trains.
  by Backshophoss

The only remaining Belmouth locations are under LIRR's West Side Yard running repair shop,heading to NJ,
Believe there is not any locations left heading to Sunnyside,there is too many underground services to move
to the north or south of NY Penn's footprint.
Going deep under NY Penn's footprint is not an option,an expense that could make the ESA budget look like chump change!! ;)
MNR will most likey wait till ESA is up and running before getting into NY Penn
  by Thomas

Then, with a potential Penn Station South Expansion, would the current mezzanines in Penn Station be extended South, so as to create a two-level mezzanine, which currently exists in Penn Station? I am trying to picture how a Penn Station South Expansion would look. Also, how deep are the current tracks in Penn Station?
  by Backshophoss

Van Nest was the location of New Haven's Electric Loco Shop, like PRR's Wilmington Shop
  by freightguy

Newsday( Long Island) won't let you upload the link, but the cover article is MTA chairman Prendergast saying Metro North service into Penn shouldn't effect LIRR slots. Trying to convince the LI lawmakers is a different story. This idea certainly seems to be gaining some traction. Something like 10 weekday Metro North trains....
  by DutchRailnut

MTA chairman Prendergast can say what he wants, its to be seen if he is still at MTA when 2019 comes around ;-)
  by Tommy Meehan

Dutch I saw a press release the other day from your union. They told some legislators that PSA would mean more jobs for their members, it would be good for the region and they hope the legislature will keep all that in mind.

Dutch I'm sure you'll find a way to knock that down but...that's what they said.
  by DutchRailnut

Unions say anything to get more jobs and more union dues, their a business to.
  by Thomas

DutchRailnut wrote:Unions say anything to get more jobs and more union dues, their a business to.
That is true--but Penn Station Access is urgently needed. My main question is will storage tracks be built in Midtown for midday train storage?
  by DutchRailnut

Where , that's question.
  by NH2060

Thomas wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Unions say anything to get more jobs and more union dues, their a business to.
That is true--but Penn Station Access is urgently needed. My main question is will storage tracks be built in Midtown for midday train storage?
The 8 platform tracks will be it as far as potential storage space is concerned at the new station. Any train that won't head back out to the island for another revenue run after arriving will simply head to another yard for storage.
  by DutchRailnut

Not as simple as you state, the reverse move again would take up tunnel space and reduce amount of trains that can be run.
  by Terrapin Station

NH2060 wrote:
Thomas wrote:
The 8 platform tracks will be it as far as potential storage space is concerned at the new station. Any train that won't head back out to the island for another revenue run after arriving will simply head to another yard for storage.
Wasn't Thomas asking about midday train storage for Metro-North trains that would operate to Penn Station as part of the Penn Station Access plan? You seem to instead be talking about East Side Access.