• Are there any GIS jobs with railroads?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by bicyclexc

Hi. First time poster.

Generally speaking, I am wondering if there are any GIS type or otherwise geography-related jobs with the railroads nowadays. My guess is they would be in either an 'engineering department' or a 'planning department' because that's where they typically are in other organizations. I would even include regularity or industry groups (FRA or AAR)

Specifically, I am a graduating senior this spring and I will have a BS in geography with an 'emphasis' in transportation. I am trying to navigate that uncertain post-graduation time that is all too familiar today. Railroads are in my family but I have more of a fascination with the "systems" and geographical aspects of them and less with the mechanical or operational aspects. To be honest, moving trains tend to scare the sh*t out of me when I'm nearby - maybe I should say I have a healthy respect for them. Anyway, I am considering entering grad school, either for Geography (transportation systems) or more likely an MBA.

So here is a shutout to those of you who to things, mostly but not exclusively at desks, related to trains and geography or some combination thereof. How can I eventually take your job? (<<when you retire ;) )
  by byte

Your best bet is going to be to look around at local passenger rail agencies, or state DOTs with a rail division. Freight railroads may have some positions which deal with GIS, but they're going to be fewer and further between than on the passenger side of things. You can also look around at engineering firms which do lots of work on rail projects, although your GIS assignments there might also bleed over into highway, etc.
  by gp80mac

Why not try to get more training and certification in GIS? May open up some opportunities.

It's what I should have done, but I hired out as a conductor after college (I also have a geog. degree).
  by RobertF

All the Class One's have GIS departments. The jobs are generally at corporate headquarters and the departments aren't THAT big. All the information PTC uses is stored in a GIS database.