• Swoyersville

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Metalrailz

My grandparents used to live on Slocum Street in Swoyersville approximately 1/4 mile from the Harry E. Breaker. There was two different grade crossings on Slocum sStreet, are these lines still active? and who did they belong to?

The last time I was in Swoyersville was in the early 90's, and I remember there were a few coal cars still in the yard at Harry E. Did they remove the cars when the breaker was demolished or are they still rusting away?
  by b&m617

I visited the harry e in the late 90's just before demo, and didn't see any rail or cars anywhere near the breaker. Glad I got my pics of that and the Sullivan trail breaker!!

work safe
Derail :-D

by Andyt293

The first track (which forms the border of Swoyersville and Forty Fort) is the former Bloomsburg Division of the DL&W. The second track is the former West Pittston Branch of the Lehigh Valley. During the Conrail era of ownership (1976-1983) several connections were made at various points along the lines to allow access to former LV customers. There was also a connection in the vicinity of Slocum Street between the West Pittston Branch and the remains of the Valley's Bowman's Creek Branch.

Post Conrail owner Pocono Northeast and present operator Luzerne and Susquehanna have pretty much destroyed what traffic there was on the line. At present I believe there is one customer on the line that gets service as needed