Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by frankie

On the lighter side of this forum, here's a head scratcher of a photo taken in 1950 of a LIRR consist that stretches as far as the eye can see. The scene is the Howard Beach station looking southward. I've heard of long consists, but this one must have an explanation. Anyone want to take a stab at it? Theories accepted.

Photo credit courtesy of the photo website for educational purposes only.

Frankie

by Noel Weaver

This might be cars for Aqueduct Ract Track specials. Horse racing amounted to a lot more back in 1950 than it does in New York City today.
Noel Weaver
  by mikey cruz

I agree wit Noel, I also think maybe they had to clear out b116 for somethin? There's new and older cars there so it can't be a scrap lay-up.
  by jayrmli

Don't have my copy of Change at Ozone Park handy, and haven't looked at it in quite awhile, but I think this picture is in there. From time to time, LIRR used the inside tracks for storage, so it could be as Noel said, for race train layups. The year says 1950, so it could also have to do with operations on the line if this was after the bridge fire which severed it from the Rockaways.
  by NIMBYkiller

Either way, awesome photo. I want to go on the bridge and take a photo to get a before and after shot
  by frankie

All of this makes a lot of sense. I would think that this photo was taken after the fire of May 1950. Since the fire closed all rail service south of Hamilton Beach, it makes sense to use the unused rails between there and Howard Beach (the southern most station) for storage. The photo shows a deceptive view of one long train which of course it's not.

Frankie
  by nyandw

NimbyKiller: The before/after shot would be great, please post.
Noel: Good call.. Yes, Race Track Specials as confirmed by Art Huneke.
  by CLiner2005

Looks like a ball game taking place in the parking lot.
  by Nasadowsk

"Only the first four cars of this train will platform, if you're in the rear 20 cars please walk forward" ;) ;) ;)
  by Ocala Mike

The demise of "The Raunt" station stop (for fishermen) and the fire that gave rise to that demise date from this time. Think it has more to do with that fire than the Aqueduct race train operation. Womder if the "all doors open all the time" rule was in effect back then.
  by frankie

I wonder if the tracks south of the fire were also used for storage? I also wonder if service along the Rockaways via Far Rockaway also continued after the fire?

Frankie
  by jayrmli

I'm pretty sure LIRR service continued after the fire, but only using the Far Rock branch to access Rockaway Park. When the deal was reached to sell the line to NYCTA, the line was severed and LIRR service ended at Far Rockaway. The rest of the line was converted to subway use.