• Hudson River Line Push Pull

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DutchRailnut

The amount of third rail substations (one for every 3 miles) would be cost prohibitive.
Third rail power can not without big losses be transmitted more than a mile and half each way.
  by Mcoov

And I take it the work required to replace the 3rd rail with overhead lines while keeping the 3rd active would be prohibitive and time consuming.
  by Greg Moore

DutchRailnut wrote:As for Hudson line, MNCR won't allow Catenary on their part, and FRA frowns on dual system electrification, the Harold to NYP being a grandfathered system.
The NYP complex was originaly third rail only, Pennsy added catenary.
So is amtrak gone order dual power locomotives ?? they won't if Bombardier is the supplier ??
On one hand, I'd like to say, "New York ultimately is in control" but the truth it, it seems the MNRR truly is the tail that wags the dog.

I wasn't aware of the FRA position. Interesting.
  by DutchRailnut

MNCR is NOT gone replace third rail for Catenary cause there is no room for Catenary in GCT or park avenue tunnel.
specially now, since they replaced over 450 MU's(M-7a's) and have no plans to buy M-8's for Hudson line.
  by KEN PATRICK

ocala mike; ok. but why sunnyside when the west side yard could accomplish the same turning and servicing? back into west side yard, crossover to the west side line,then back to the platform. is it a servicing infrastructure issue? i can't believe something couldn't be done in the west side yard. ken patrick
  by Greg Moore

KEN PATRICK wrote:ocala mike; ok. but why sunnyside when the west side yard could accomplish the same turning and servicing? back into west side yard, crossover to the west side line,then back to the platform. is it a servicing infrastructure issue? i can't believe something couldn't be done in the west side yard. ken patrick
West Side Yard is NJTransit's not Amtrak's.

Also, I don't believe the Empire Service trains can get to the West Side Yard from the tracks they are on.

Again, I'm not clear on the fascination folks have with so drastically changing the Empire Service setup.

(and I am assuming you're asking on the context of push-pull service since obviously in the current service turning the train obviously requires the loop at Sunnyside and the wye at Albany.
  by amm in ny

DutchRailnut wrote:The amount of third rail substations (one for every 3 miles) would be cost prohibitive.
Third rail power can not without big losses be transmitted more than a mile and half each way.
Why wasn't it cost-prohibitive to do so for the Harlem Line?

(Not that I'm doubting your substation spacing. Just that I assume it was the same story for White Plains to Brewster.)
  by amm in ny

Greg Moore wrote:On one hand, I'd like to say, "New York ultimately is in control" but the truth it, it seems the MNRR truly is the tail that wags the dog.
The question is: why would NY state even want to overrule MNRR? The MTA, and thus MNRR, are the people the state hires to do their railroad-running for them, and if their hired hands (who have a reputation for knowing what they're doing) don't think it's a good idea, why would they overrule them?

Aside from fullfilling foamer fantasies, I haven't seen any advantage for Amtrak to switching to electric service on the Hudson. I suspect that when you factor in the cost of installing and maintaining catenary or 3rd rail, even just from Poughkeepsie to Albany, diesel is cheaper.

Yes, I'd love to see the Hudson line go electric. But before you ask the people of NY State (and the US government) to foot the rather substantial bill (very WAG: in the billions), you really need to give a better reason than "it would be so cool!"
  by ericr

Greg Moore wrote:
West Side Yard is NJTransit's not Amtrak's.
Neither, it's Long Island Rail Road. NJ Transit goes to Sunnyside, along with Amtrak.
  by DutchRailnut

amm in ny wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:The amount of third rail substations (one for every 3 miles) would be cost prohibitive.
Why wasn't it cost-prohibitive to do so for the Harlem Line?

(Not that I'm doubting your substation spacing. Just that I assume it was the same story for White Plains to Brewster.)
It is now, the cost in 1982/83 dollars is peanuts compared to todays cost
Also NWP to SouthEast portion is only 30 miles and two tracks.
The Harmon to Poughkeepsie part is 3 tracks Harmon to Peekskill, 2 track to Beacon with a huge 3th track at Beacon.
2 tracks Chelsea to CP72 then 3 tracks or more to CP75 for combined mileage of around 54 miles when extra tracks are included.

It still is useless to Amtrak to extend the third rail electrification since no one would run Genesis in third rail mode for 75 miles. And Amtrak is not gone buy DEMU's
  by Greg Moore

amm in ny wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:On one hand, I'd like to say, "New York ultimately is in control" but the truth it, it seems the MNRR truly is the tail that wags the dog.
The question is: why would NY state even want to overrule MNRR? The MTA, and thus MNRR, are the people the state hires to do their railroad-running for them, and if their hired hands (who have a reputation for knowing what they're doing) don't think it's a good idea, why would they overrule them?
For the same reason a CEO or Board of Directors "overrules" the employees they hire to run their company. In this case, MNRR's goals may be different from the state's overall goals (for example increasing speed/frequency to Albany).

And quite honestly, MNRR and the MTA doesn't have the best reputation in the Capital. When I say MNRR (and MTA since you brought it up) is the tail that wags the dog, I meant it. Many of the local politicos would like a bit more oversight into both (especially the finances, witness the big bruhaha over the MTA request (I think 2 years old now?) to raise rates and the questions raised by the MTA books.)
amm in ny wrote: Aside from fullfilling foamer fantasies, I haven't seen any advantage for Amtrak to switching to electric service on the Hudson. I suspect that when you factor in the cost of installing and maintaining catenary or 3rd rail, even just from Poughkeepsie to Albany, diesel is cheaper.

Yes, I'd love to see the Hudson line go electric. But before you ask the people of NY State (and the US government) to foot the rather substantial bill (very WAG: in the billions), you really need to give a better reason than "it would be so cool!"
Several reasons have been given (in this thread and elsewhere) but basically increased frequency (NY has talked about adding several more ALB-NYP trains to ensure hourly service), faster acceleration and diesel prices are going up, while NYS gets a lot of cheap hydro electric power.

It would also ultimately open up possibilities (much further down the road) of trains from ALB continuing past NYP w/o a platform change.

I do agree it would cost billions and the case isn't a strong one. Yet. (and as I noted, it's unlike Keystone Service which simply required fixing the infrastructure already in place. But Empire Service and Keystone service appear very similar in terms of frequency, distance (Empire is a bit further) and ridership.)

But I predict it'll come and the talk will get more serious as time goes on.

(to go back to something Dutch Railnut mentioned. Assuming the Hudson division ever went to catenary, I suspect MNRR could handle it the same way they handle GCT-New Haven.)

(PS, I'll note known of the animosity I'm aware of is towards the "line workers" at MNRR or MTA. It's directed towards the upper management).
  by DutchRailnut

Who cares what politicians think ? you only have to ask them remember what railroad looked like before MNCR.
We(MNCR) are fastest growing regional railroad with highest amount of commuters, and at price far better than what car travel cost.
The days of rusty old coaches with holes in floor and no heat are not to long ago.
Politicians are a waste of money and can be voted out of office and put out with trash.
A railroad like MNCR flourishes, because politicians have no cloud in MTA
  by Backshophoss

Mr Moore,West Side Yard is owned and controlled by LIRR not NJT. There is NO overhead wire in West Side Yard-3rd rail only.
Most of NJT's trains lay up at Sunnyside,some may short turn at the platform.
  by Patrick Boylan

DutchRailnut wrote: A railroad like MNCR flourishes, because politicians have no cloud in MTA
What is the cloud in MTA?
  by Greg Moore

Backshophoss wrote:Mr Moore,West Side Yard is owned and controlled by LIRR not NJT. There is NO overhead wire in West Side Yard-3rd rail only.
Most of NJT's trains lay up at Sunnyside,some may short turn at the platform.

Oops, my bad. You are of course right about the ownership.