• Brightline (All Aboard Florida) Orlando - Miami FL FEC fka Virgin Rail

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

by D.Carleton

As a resident I sincerely hope Professor Norman is wrong. However, the facts are the facts. An equipment (rolling stock) builder was to have been chosen in December: Didn't happen. The estimate has grown from $1 billion to $1.5 billion. The proposed track between Cocoa and MCO has become a political football. What few things I have heard from an otherwise silent camp do not make much sense.

I do believe FECI entered this with the best of intentions with an eye to running passenger trains but may have bitten off more than they can chew.
  by NE2

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Lest we forget, volks, that in order for there to be a State funded passenger train in Florida, under existing law, any county it operates through must impose a dedicated tax to participate in its funding.
Which law is this?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. NE, to my best knowledge, there is Florida law requiring that, in order for to be State level funding of rail transportation, any county through which such train would operate must impose a tax, which can be ad-valorem (property) or excise (sales), but not income as Florida does not have such. This why there has never been Tri-Rail service into Martin County, which is immediately North of Palm Becah, as Martin residents (Fox News watching train hating varietal) have not been willing to impose any such tax on themselves.

I believe you will find that the service area of SunRail has been determined by whether or not counties have imposed such tax; I highly doubt if this law would be exempt for an intercity service.

It's a Robert R. Young publicity stunt. No passenger train will ever operate over the FEC for their own account - period.

Page 102
  by NE2

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. NE, to my best knowledge, there is Florida law requiring that, in order for to be State level funding of rail transportation, any county through which such train would operate must impose a tax, which can be ad-valorem (property) or excise (sales), but not income as Florida does not have such. This why there has never been Tri-Rail service into Martin County, which is immediately North of Palm Becah, as Martin residents (Fox News watching train hating varietal) have not been willing to impose any such tax on themselves.
I looked for the law and couldn't find it. Assuming such a law exists, it probably only applies to counties actually served by stations.
  by Jeff Smith

Mr. Norman, FYI, I watch Fox News and I DON'T hate trains.

In other news (I'm playing catch up): Palm Beach Post
All Aboard Florida confirms West Palm station, clears environmental hurdle

WEST PALM BEACH —

Top company officials confirmed Monday that the All Aboard Florida passenger rail line will build a station and platform at Datura and Evernia streets in downtown West Palm Beach.

As first reported in The Palm Beach Post, an offshoot of Florida East Coast Industries bought the old Sewell Hardware property in the 500 block of Evernia Street. The company had declined to say whether that would be the station location for the express rail, which is expected to transport tourists and business people between Miami and Orlando in about three hours.
  by Jeff Smith

The news on federal loans is not promising, I must say. Whether this is more promising than the Vegas proposal I know not; however, I am now more prone to lower my odds in Mr. Norman's direction. More news in addition to the same LAT source (probably a wire story):

Orlando Sentinel
All Aboard Florida seeks federal loan

The builders of a privately financed train linking South Florida with Orlando International Airport have applied for a federal loan to help pay for the $1.5 billion project.

Karen Hedlund, deputy administrator of the Federal Railroad Administration, on Monday confirmed the application but would not go into detail, saying she couldn't because the document contains proprietary information.

Calls to the train company, All Aboard Florida based in Coral Gables, were not returned. The paperwork was filed Friday, Hedlund said.

The railroad administration website indicates the loan repayment can stretch as long as 35 years at low interest rates. Among other uses, loans can be granted to acquire new facilities or improve existing ones.
  by Noel Weaver

They just applied for a Federa Loan, how can we say the "news is not promising"? They should have as good a shot as any other railroad enterprise or transportation enterprise has for that matter and maybe even better as they will be providing a public service. Please folks lets not be so negative and let it run its course. None of us know exactly what is going to happen here no matter who we are or where we are. Money has already been spent on this and I do not think that would have happened unless the organizers feel that this has a good chance of success. Lets all wait and see, please!!!!

Here is an article from Tuesday's Miami Herald although there isn't much new in it

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/18/3 ... k-for.html

Noel Weaver
  by NH2060

Noel Weaver wrote:They just applied for a Federa Loan, how can we say the "news is not promising"? They should have as good a shot as any other railroad enterprise or transportation enterprise has for that matter and maybe even better as they will be providing a public service. Please folks lets not be so negative and let it run its course. None of us know exactly what is going to happen here no matter who we are or where we are. Money has already been spent on this and I do not think that would have happened unless the organizers feel that this has a good chance of success. Lets all wait and see, please!!!!

Here is an article from Tuesday's Miami Herald although there isn't much new in it

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/18/3 ... k-for.html

Noel Weaver
THANK.YOU. Seriously the amount of pessimism amongst some has gotten out if hand. From what i see, in spite of my wondering of why FECI would want to enter the passenger rail business, this is no publicity stunt and is moving at a rather swift pace compared to a number of other passenger rail projects in the country. From the beginning IIRC they've said that they would consider seeking such loans, etc. and this shouldn't really come as a big shock to anyone.
  by kaitoku

Does the mainstream press make up (or "embellish") stuff just to sell copy? Nahh, they wouldn't stoop so low....
Expressway frets over wrecks with proposed Miami-to-Orlando train
April 1, 2013|By Dan Tracy, Orlando Sentinel

Questions about who would pay for what if there were an accident are holding up talks between Metro Orlando's road agency and the would-be builders of a $1.5 billion train system.

Officials at the Orlando Orange County Expressway Authority said Monday that they want to be sure the agency does not have to bear much, if any, responsibility if there is a collision on the BeachLine Expressway it owns between a car and the All Aboard Florida train.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... ro-orlando
Orlando toller NOT "fretting" over train wrecks on 528 - BAD PRESS

2013-04-02:
Orlando Sentinel readers were told this morning that local toll authority officials were "fretting" over possible train wrecks on the FL528 Beachline Expressway. "Expressway frets over wrecks with proposed Miami-to-Orlando train" reads the headline in the major area newspaper. Michelle Maikisch, spokesman for the Orlando Orange County Expressway Authority (OOCEA) is quite indignant about the report and says she "had words with" the reporter.

The report in question leads off: "Questions about who would pay for what if there were an accident are holding up talks between Metro Orlando's road agency and the would-be builders of a $1.5 billion train system." The toll authority's lawyer Steve Zucker is quoted as saying the toller must be assured it isn't carrying liability for accidents.

"Until then it is no deal."

There is no hold-up in talks, Maikisch insists, and Zucker the OOCEA lawyer did not speak in the take-it-or-leave-it terms the Sentinel suggested: "I was there I heard him speak."
http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/6488
  by chrsjrcj

FWIW: Driving through Lake Worth and Lantana today, I noticed what looked like track ballast on the westside of the mainline stretching from the northend of the Hypuluxo siding, to at least Lantana road (past that, the tracks diverge from US 1 through downtown Lake Worth).
  by Noel Weaver

chrsjrcj wrote:FWIW: Driving through Lake Worth and Lantana today, I noticed what looked like track ballast on the westside of the mainline stretching from the northend of the Hypuluxo siding, to at least Lantana road (past that, the tracks diverge from US 1 through downtown Lake Worth).
I think the undercutter has been working in that general area.
Noel Weaver
  by kaitoku

"Hotel room on wheels" is marketing-speak. Looking at another passage in the article:
The privately-owned intercity rail system's amenities and services is to include WiFi internet service, gourmet meals, beverage service, comfortable seating, luggage accommodations, reserved business and coach service seating, and online reservations.
These are all standard offerings in first class on established HSR services in other parts of the world. Nothing novel.